Monday, July 2, 2018

Weekly recap 7/2/2018

Hoo boy.

Did you ever have a period of time in your life where you just wish for a regular week?

That's about where I am right now.

Let's get down to business on Stephanie's weekly recap! *cue confetti and balloons* (What can I say, I grew up on 80's/90's game shows.)

MONDAY
I took my son to his second-to-last day of school, then ran home to reschedule the vaccine appointment he was supposed to go to (which I originally scheduled before I knew his summer school schedule). They allowed me to reschedule even though the appointment was in two hours, so that was good (no one was there for me to reschedule over the weekend). I washed and hung the laundry out to dry, ran the dishwasher, then did Reading and Geography lessons with my daughter. I finished reading a novel from my shelves (meh) and also finished reading Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers!!! Excitement!!! That night, I sat down to write and finished with 370 words. A pretty productive day!

TUESDAY
I dropped my son off at school for his last day, then did Reading and Geography lessons with the girl. I practiced the piano while she played, and then we headed to the library. And then...

Backtrack time. I have degenerative disc disease. The discs in my back are jerks and like to break down faster than everyone else's discs. They slip, slide, herniate, cause nerve pain that runs down my legs, it's generally a miserable experience all around. Some days are close to normal; other days, I'm considering taking a chainsaw and liberating my body below the ribcage, the pain is so bad.

Tuesday was one of those days. I was a little painy before we left the house, but by the time we were getting ready to leave the library to pick up my son, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make it out to the car. Not a good thing to worry about when you've got a four year-old and a heavy bag of books. I did make it, and my son was kind enough to get my daughter out of the car and carry the books inside. I spent my daughter's nap time icing my back and watching Love Between the Covers on Netflix (a documentary about romance novels and some of the authors who write them). Highly recommended! Despite my pain, I had to pick up another interlibrary loan book from the library that night before dropping my son off at a friend's house, but when I came home, I sat down to write and pounded out 751 words. Score!

WEDNESDAY
UGH. The pain was bad, bad, bad that day, and I skipped grocery shopping because of it. I did Reading and Geography lessons with the girl and spent the rest of the day reading a book from my Goodreads list.

THURSDAY
I woke up early and added the French vocab from the final chapter of Harry Potter into my Anki app. We got the grocery shopping done, slowly, then I carefully cleaned the house of the mess that had built up the past two days. We stopped by the library, I cooked dinner (including making the homemade sandwich rolls that I'd forgotten to grab at the store, for the roasted eggplant-tomato-basil sandwiches I was making for dinner. YUM). After dinner, I sat down to write and came out with less than 100 words. I. Was. Exhausted. The thing with chronic pain is that you forget that you're already starting quite a ways before the start line. It takes a lot more effort to do things on painy days than it would if I weren't already struggling, and so on days when I'm not feeling well, I really wear down. I fell asleep in my chair when my husband and daughter were watching My Little Pony and barely had the energy to hold my book open after that.

FRIDAY
My daughter and I visited some local yard sales in the morning. I found a rug to place underneath my piano bench for a dollar, so that made me happy. I studied and completed the French vocabulary from Harry Potter using the Anki app, and in the afternoon, we went to the library, where we ran into some friends (one from France, the other married to a man from France). That night, I picked up a basic French grammar book and began reviewing.

SATURDAY
Kid gymnastics day! I cleaned and read, drove my son and his friends places, made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce using the veggies lurking around the fridge, and practiced the piano.

SUNDAY
Lazy day. I finished a library book, practiced the piano, and studied my French grammar book. It's been a long time since I've done a grammar review, so I think I'll really benefit from this. Even in the early chapters, I'm already noticing things I've forgotten.

Book Update
Books Read This Year: 82
Books On My To-Read List: 169

And there we have it! Not exactly the most productive week, but such is life. Crossing my fingers that next week will be better! How did you do this week?



No comments:

Post a Comment