Sunday, November 18, 2018

A new twist on Gift In A Jar!

My mom likes to travel. Not internationally, just around. When we lived out of state, she got over her fear of driving long distances by herself and learned to navigate the open road, and we visited a ton of cool nearby stuff with her- places in Kentucky, South Carolina, and Tennessee, all thanks to my mom and her newfound sense of adventure.

Even though we live in the same state again, about an hour apart, my mom still likes to travel, and so we've kept up the tradition, visiting nearby locations and exploring what's fun. And this year, I'm giving her a Christmas gift that speaks to those trips.

In 2017, we traveled to Traverse City, Michigan, a place I'd always wanted to see. It's a beautiful, charming town and I loved it there. If you haven't had the pleasure of strolling its gorgeous downtown and relaxing on the shores of Lake Michigan, consider making it a goal to get there, because it's absolutely worth the trip. My daughter still had some sand and a bunch of rocks in her sand bucket when we left, and so I took that sand and saved it in a pickle jar. It now sits on top of my bookshelf, a cheerful reminder of the fun we had on that trip, and it makes me smile every time I see it.

This past summer, we visited Door County, Wisconsin, and of course we had a wonderful time. Already thinking of the future, I saved a little bit of sand and some rocks while we were there. They've been waiting for me in a little red bucket, until I had time and materials, and today, as I was cleaning out a few things from my kitchen island, I found the perfect jar.


It's a small jar, but that will work perfectly for my mom. Once I get a detail brush, I'll paint DOOR COUNTY 2018 on the lid. And voilĂ , a perfect Christmas gift that will evoke memories of a wonderful family vacation for years to come.

My mom will love it, and I'm so excited to give it to her this year. :)

2 comments:

  1. Such a thoughtful little gift! We have a jar of shells we collect on the back too. I too love it.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love knowing that other people do this too! It's such a nice physical reminder of all the fun we had this summer, especially during a cold and snowy season. :)

      Delete