Thursday, March 17, 2022

What's Been Going On: Monday, 14 March - Wednesday, 16 March, 2022

 Chag Purim Sameach and Erin Go Bragh, friends! I’m not sure how often Purim and St. Patrick’s Day coincide, but I’m guessing it’s not often. I’ve seen a few green bagels floating around on my Instagram feed and some of my Jewish Facebook groups, so there are a few people out there celebrating both! : )

Is it just me, or has this week seemed like it’s been 2374832943 days long so far? I haven’t been sleeping well, so I’m sure that’s contributing to it. The kind-of false spring we’ve been experiencing has been lovely, though! I actually had to turn the air conditioning on in the car yesterday!

Here’s what I’ve been up to so far on this very tired week!

 

Monday, 14 March, 2022

Up and at ‘em! After coffee, I wrote, edited, and posted my Monday post, got dressed, then switched and hung the laundry I’d run the night before.

We started school with On This Day in History and geography (Kyrgyzstan – I did NOT spell this correctly on the first try!). then dove into math. We finished our pond and river book, finished our museum artifacts book, finished our book about slow things, and read a book about school around the world.

After lunch, I unloaded and refilled the dishwasher. We did spelling and Language Arts, read a book about mammals, and did our Read Harder/silent reading for 30 minutes (I’m reading Everything You Need to Know About Asian-American History; my daughter is reading Matilda). We finished our mammal book, and school was done!

And then it was time to prepare my hamantaschen dough. Last year, I made Nutella hamantaschen. I was going to maybe try lemon or poppyseed this year, but then I got sucked in by a recipe in my email: this one for raspberry cheesecake hamantaschen. I decided to switch out for fresh strawberries, because I had no idea where to buy freeze-dried raspberries (and that just sounds expensive, anyway). I prepared the dough, and…I really loathe working with any kind of butter-based dough. It’s SO sticky and gross, and I wasn’t feeling great about this batch when I put it in the fridge. Hamantaschen are a little tricky anyway, and I was prepared to have to remake a new batch of these the next day (one of my friends, who is a fabulous baker, posted this week about a batch of her butter-based hamantaschen not working out and having to be dumped, so it’s not just me here!).

I threw together a batch of breakfast sandwiches for dinner, then took out the compost. I filled and ran the dishwasher, took out the garbage, hauled the cans to the curb, then went on a two-mile walk with my family. I spent a few minutes on the computer, and then it was time for dinner. I did my Duolingo, showered, put dinner away, put my daughter to bed, read my book, and watched an episode of Deadly Women with my husband before bed.

 

Tuesday, 15 March, 2022

After coffee, I got some beans in the Instant Pot. It had been a night of terrible sleep, so I was dragging.

We got started with On This Day in History and geography (Laos), and then it was time for math. We read some Asian folk tales, started a book about birds, read from a science book, and then it was time for lunch. I prepared a batch of Cauliflower Kale soup with white beans (this wasn’t my favorite, so I’m not linking it), unloaded and refilled the dishwasher, and took out the compost.

After Language Arts and spelling, we started a book about Congress (my daughter is actually really enjoying this one!), did our 30 minutes of Read Harder/silent reading, finished our book of Asian folk tales, and then I shaped and filled my hamantaschen and put them back in the fridge to chill. We went for a three-mile walk, and then I baked the cookies (they had to go back into the fridge afterwards to cool). We had dinner, I did my Duolingo, and showered, and then we enjoyed a few hamantaschen. I was impressed and surprised how well they turned out- they held up, no leaky disasters, and they were super delicious!

 


I did 40 minutes of volunteer work, put dinner away, and loaded and ran the dishwasher. My husband had other things to do, so instead of watching anything, I just read until bedtime.

 

Wednesday, 16 March, 2022

Another night of terrible sleep. Bring on allllllllllllllllllllllllll the coffee! I was so very, very tired, but I got dressed and made out my grocery list anyway.

We started with On This Day in History and geography (Latvia), then moved into math, where we finished the current unit. We read about birds, read our science book, then looked through a book of eco-friendly projects. We had lunch, and I emptied and refilled the dishwasher and took out the recycling.

We did spelling and Language Arts and read more about Congress. We did our Read Harder/silent reading, and started a book about outdoor science, and then we were done and I dragged myself out the door for groceries. Three stores this week. No huge bargains, except for some fresh organic ginger on the bargain produce rack. I’ll wrap those up and toss them in the freezer. Vinegar was on sale, so I bought three gallons of that, and we have a lot of broccoli to enjoy this week!

At home, I put the groceries away and did 40 minutes of volunteer work while the pizza baked. I continued working throughout dinner, did my Duolingo and showered, put dinner away and ran the dishwasher. I logged on to my synagogue’s virtual Purimshpiel, which was very cute and funny, and then I put my daughter to bed. I finished reading Attainable Sustainable by Kris Bordessa, then I began reading Garbology: Our Dirty Love Affair with Trash by Edward Humes. My husband and I watched one episode of Deadly Women before bed.

 

Not a great night of sleep AGAIN last night! Oof. Not sure what the deal is, but phew, I’m worn out already. Maybe the time change has gotten to me. Who knows? It’s leftover soup and grilled cheese for dinner tonight, so maybe I’ll be able to sneak in a nap. We’ll see! Hopefully you’re a little more well-rested than I am. Have a great rest of the week, friends. We’re almost to the weekend!

4 comments:

  1. All your baking sounds so good. I may whip up some quick bread later if I can find some time in my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I do enjoy baking, though I don't have enough time to do it as much as I would like these days. The hamantaschen turned out much better than I expected, and they were *delicious*. I'm glad they're only a once-a-year thing, though, and I think next year, I'll go back to using an oil-based recipe. So much easier to work with than butter-based dough! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Stephanie,
    ...I sure hope your sleep improves...your hamantaschen turned out amazing...I had to look them up...but they look like they could be easily veganized...and I do love raspberry with cream cheese...your daughter's homeschool is pretty amazing...I would be learning a lot there for sure...
    ~Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hamentaschen can EASILY be veganized! They're more commonly made with oil instead of butter, due to kashrut (Jewish dietary laws; no mixing of dairy and meat products, so you can't follow, say, a brisket meal with cookies made from butter), so you'll more often find recipes for these that call for oil (and that's the kind I made last year). The traditional fillings are usually prune, poppyseed or apricot filling, but there are all kinds out there. I was going to do a lemon filling this year until I discovered the cheesecake recipe! There are even savory hamentaschen, too. :)

      I'm also learning a lot with my daughter's homeschool! :D Her math curriculum is SO fantastic; it's helped me improve at mental math and have a better understanding of how numbers work. I wish they would've taught me this way when I was her age and am so glad she's learning like this. We're having a lot of fun doing this together. Not exactly what I had planned for her school this year, but there's no reason we can't have as much fun as possible with this change of plans! :) Have a great day!!! :)

      Delete