Friday, November 12, 2021

Friday links, November 11, 2021

 


Just a little something that’s been making me laugh this week!

 

It’s Friday! Shabbat Shalom, if you’re Jewish like me. : )

Here’s what I’ve found interesting online this week.

 

How One of the Biggest Lithium Battery Fires in American History Happened.

I don’t know if you heard about this massive lithium battery fire this summer, but I watched it go down live. While I don’t live there anymore, Morris is my hometown, and my parents are still both there. The police chief interviewed for the article taught my fifth grade DARE class back in 1990. My father was traveling when this happened, so I tuned in to all the press briefings online in order to keep him updated. Fortunately, neither of my parents live in the evacuation zone, but plenty of people I knew do. I actually attended a youth group meeting with an LDS friend in that paper mill in 1995 when the local congregation was renting an office out there before their building was finished. This fire was a tense situation and I’m sure none of the first responders in town slept well for many days. This is an important article to read, because lithium batteries are in a lot of things these days, and there needs to be more regulation as to how large quantities of them are stored and local fire departments being notified of their presence before they catch fire.

 

Against The Dishwasher.

No.

No.

No.

I hate these kinds of articles. They’re ableist and evince the author’s lazy thinking. I have a bad back; standing over a sink of dishes and scrubbing, scrubbing, scrubbing is difficult for me on good days. On bad days, it’s nearly impossible. And beyond that, I can think of a whole slew of people who would find a dishwasher a necessary tool. Wheelchair users. People with arthritis. People with broken limbs. People who have balance problems, like Menière’s disease. People with sensory processing disorders. People with “morning” sickness. The list goes on and on. Not to mention that most dishwashers these days use LESS water than handwashing. I’ve lived without a dishwasher many times in my life and it makes life a lot more difficult for me, as I'm sure it does for people like me. Don’t be this author.

 

Bal Tashchit: Summoning the Will Not to Waste.

This is something that’s been on my mind lately. Last month’s book from PJ Library (a wonderful program that sends Jewish families a Jewish children’s book every month) was Joseph Had a Little Overcoat by Simms Taback, a wonderful and beautifully illustrated story about a man who remakes his coat into various items as it wears down. Bal tashchit is a beautiful Jewish principle, and reading this story got me thinking about what I use, how I use it, and how I could do better. If you have a small child in your life, see if your local library has this book, because it’s a great story that teaches dedication to using what we have to the fullest, in the most earth-friendly and respectful way.

 

How to Fight Book Bans and Challenges: An Anti-Censorship Kit.

I mentioned that a community issue came up in the week that prompted me to virtually attend my local library’s board meeting and this is why. A local group got a bee in their bonnet about libraries, both school and public, shelving certain books (a local high school where a friend is librarian was mentioned specifically in this conversation on Facebook; I tipped her off). These people were furious that books that feature characters they don’t like and haven’t tried to understand exist; one person recommended stealing the books, and another advocated for a book burning. Yup, book burning. I have the screenshots to prove it.

Censorship isn’t okay with me. I’m at my local library often; there are plenty of books on the shelves that are about things I don’t like or don’t necessarily agree with. Do you know what I do about it?

I don’t check those books out. Because I’m a grown adult who is educated enough to understand that my way isn’t the only way, and it’s perfectly fine for others to live differently.

What I don’t do is whine, cry, or threaten. Because, again, I’m a grown adult, and grown adults with a sense of decency don’t act like that. If you don’t want your child to read a certain kind of book, that’s perfectly fine! But that’s between you and your child and no one else. I love that my daughter can march into the library and pick up books about girls that look just like her. I love that she can find books that feature main characters that look just like her Muslim best friend. I love that we can read books about the people who made it possible for our friends Chris and Rae to become the best possible mommies together for their two beautiful little girls, and I love that we can read books about people who were born in a body that didn’t quite match who they were inside, like my friend’s daughter Jamie. This is a big, beautiful, diverse world and we’ve been blessed to know some of the most amazing people. Those people should be featured on our bookshelves just as much as anyone else. If you’re not interested, that’s fine! I mean, I’ll be honest; I feel sad for the people who limit themselves so much, but there are plenty of other books out there. One of them is bound to interest you. But it’s not up to you what everyone else reads. And I’m prepared to be familiar with my library’s board meetings and what’s going on in town in order to go to bat for them if it’s ever needed. I live in an amazing, diverse town, and my library’s shelves do and should continue to represent that.

 

That’s it for this week! I hope you all have a wonderful, relaxing weekend. We’re supposed to see our first snow flurries of the season later on today. No accumulation yet, but I don’t mind. I like watching the snow fall through my picture window.

Shabbat Shalom, friends. : )


No comments:

Post a Comment