Monday, January 31, 2022

What's Been Going On: Thursday, 27 January - Sunday, 30 January, 2022

 Good morning and happy Monday from the land of almost-zero-sleep-last-night! (Ugh.) I don’t know if it was just some fluke, or if that was a side effect of the new meds my doctor prescribed me (that’s going to be a problem, if so!), but I was awake almost all last night. A nap today sounds awesome, but it’s also my husband’s late day, so we’ll see if that happens.

I’m slowly, slowly getting back to normal after feeling awful for a good portion of last week. I still get winded and sweaty easily, so I’ve been trying to pace myself and not overdo it, so there haven’t been any great strides or revelations in the past few days, just a slow return to normalcy (I also made it through the whole day yesterday with no headache, so that was a win!). I assume this week will be more of the same- possibly with a few extra naps sprinkled in here and there, thanks to last night!

 

Here's what I’ve been up to- or, not up to, really- the past few days!


Thursday, 27 January, 2022

The migraine I’d been dealing with had left me dehydrated as always, so breakfast consisted of both coffee and a bottle of Powerade Zero (which I keep on hand just for reasons like this!). I did an hour of volunteer work while sitting up (which hadn’t happened much the day before!). This was the only hour of volunteer work I was able to complete last week; I’m highly aware of this and will be looking to make up that extra hour somewhere this week.

I cleaned up the kitchen, and then it was already time for lunch. Afterwards, I finally had the energy to read to my daughter, who, as you remember, had been out of school pending our COVID test results. We read a book about July 4, 1776, and then got about halfway through a book about Anne Frank. I dozed a bit, ran the dishwasher, and relaxed while I played on the computer. After dinner, I did my Duolingo and showered, then came back to find our negative test results waiting for me in our email. Woohoo! I emailed the results to my daughter’s school nurse.

I sat through a good portion (mostly with my eyes closed) of a webinar called Confronting the Rise of School Board Disruptions. When that was over, I read for just a little bit, then went to bed.

 

Friday, 28 January, 2022

After coffee and getting dressed, I wrote and posted my Friday post. Before leaving for school, I brought in the cans from the curb, which had been sitting out there since garbage day on Tuesday (see why I say that if I’m not the one to do it, it won’t get done???). School drop-off was cold and very, very snowy!

Back home, I called the nurse line as instructed by the message I received after messaging my doctor about the increase in migraines and scheduled a 9:30 am appointment with the next available doctor, then headed out a few minutes later. The roads weren’t too bad, but the office is all the way across town, so I left myself plenty of time for travel. The doctor I saw prescribed a preventative and gave me a referral for a neurologist so we can figure out what’s going on. On the way home, I stopped by the library to pick up the interlibrary loan books that had been waiting for me all week!

I unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, tidied the living room, and rested until it was time for lunch with my daughter. At home, I took out the compost and recycling, and managed a few bites of lunch, but then my stomach said no thanks (common for me in the days post-migraine). I scheduled my neurology appointment (not until the end of March, but that’s fine) and relaxed on the computer. Dinner was breakfast sandwiches and tater tots, which I threw together quickly. I did my Duolingo, showered, and read, then I virtually attended Shabbat services at my synagogue while lying down in bed, since I felt pretty off and worn out. I finished reading Israel: A Simple Guide to the  Most Misunderstood Country on Earth by Noa Tishby, began reading Invisible City by Julia Dahl, and went to sleep.

 

Saturday, 29 January, 2022

After coffee, I began putting together my monthly recap post for my book blog. I got dressed and ready, and then the whole family headed out to the Science Surplus store, which is about 25 minutes away. My daughter’s behavior there was less than exemplary, a combination of hunger and, I think, just plain pandemic fatigue, so we didn’t spend quite as long there as we would have liked. I finished the recap after lunch.

I worked on my upcoming monthly goals post, then relaxed on the computer for a bit. Then, needing to move a little, I did a 20-minute yin yoga video. Yin is a slower style of yoga where you get into a stretching pose and then just hold it for a minute or two (or more!). If you’re not at all flexible (*waves hand*), it’s definitely challenging, and it was exactly what my stiff self needed after so many days of barely moving at all.

I filled the dishwasher, then curled up in my chair to rest and play on the computer (told you I was taking it slow this week!). After dinner, I did my Duolingo and biked for a whopping ten minutes. I’m NOT pushing it! I showered, put my daughter to bed, and read, then my husband and I watched an episode of Deadly Women before bed.

 

Sunday, 30 January, 2022

After coffee and breakfast, I got dressed, and then it was time to hit up three grocery stores, as we were running low on a few perishable items. This was pretty exhausting (and I was sweaty in the first store. Turn that heat down, people!), but I did come home with a bunch of marked-down mushrooms, so that made me happy! I brought in the groceries and put them all away, then sat for a few minutes to catch my breath.

I unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, took out the recycling, and cleaned the kitchen, which was a pretty extensive job. When that was done, I lay down in bed and finished reading Invisible City by Julia Dahl. We had lunch and I supervised my daughter doing her math (I didn’t moan that much while giving birth to her, I swear! Such a penchant for drama, this child!), played on the computer, loaded and ran the dishwasher, then started reading Playing with Matches by Suri Rosen.

After dinner, I did my Duolingo and showered, showered my daughter, read, put her to bed, then continued reading and finished my book. My husband and I watched an episode of Deadly Women before he went to bed and I sat awake for ages. I came downstairs and started reading When It’s Real by Erin Watt to pass the time. It still took me several hours of lying in bed before I finally fell asleep.

 

Not exactly the most productive of weeks- which explain the lack of pictures, nothing all that photographic going on here- but I’m trying not to push recovery and end up with another whopper of a headache. I had planned on getting that extra hour of volunteer work done today, but with barely sleeping last night, I don’t know if that’s going to happen. We’ll see! I’m really hoping this week will be more of a normal week for me, both in terms of productivity and health.

I hope you’re having a lovely start to your week!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    ...so glad you're starting to feel better...I really feel for people who suffer from chronic pain...glad you and your daughter do not have covid...I just started reading Hamnet...my third challenge book...and since I've finished the James Heriot series I can focus on it a little bit better...haha...the Invisible City sounds really interesting...we watched Unorthodox on Netflix...and we've got One of Us in our queue...hope you continue to feel better...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unorthodox was really well-done! I quite enjoyed watching that. And One of Us was also a great watch, though tough at times. I too am VERY glad I'm on the upswing; I haven't felt that rough for that long in years!!! Happy reading!!! :)

      Delete