Friday, August 31, 2018

Friday thoughts 8/31/2018

Good morning! It's an abbreviated post today, simply because I haven't been online that much this week. Physical therapy is taking a lot out of me this time around, and I've had quite a bit of stuff to do with my son, so my time here has been cut short. I'm ready for a long, long nap (and it's currently only 6:42 in the morning, so that's not good!).

Let's get started.


*One Simple Way to Reduce Visual Clutter All Over Your Space*

This appealed to me a lot. Visual clutter makes me feel mentally chaotic (which is tough when you've got a four year old with a toy collection that looks like a toy store vomited all over the house). I do my best to at least keep the living room, where I hang out most of the time when I'm reading/crafting/etc, a calm space, but it's by no means perfect. I'm still working on getting the rest of the house to look as calm, but I liked the uniform look of these photos.

My only issue is that matching containers can be expensive to buy new. Collecting non-matching containers as you find them, from thrift stores and yard sales and Freecycle, is definitely an option. It's not the matching that appealed to me, it's the more streamlined look that the glass containers had- I especially like the jars with the shampoo and condition. I'd have to get some sort of shelf for my bathtub for that to be a viable option, though. The containers for ketchup and mustard and whatnot appealed to me as well. I have a basket in the fridge that contains all our condiments, and having them all in uniform-sized containers would be extremely helpful, so I'm thinking about this.

Do you prefer that sort of streamlined look, or are you not bothered by cereal boxes and bags hanging out on the shelves?


*Ambient-Mixer.com*

This is So. Cool.

Have you ever wondered what the library at Hogwarts sounds like? Longed for the sound of a rainstorm in the scorching heat of summer? Needed the background noise of a crackling fire or a waterfall, a spooky Halloween night or a restaurant? Ambient-Mixer.com has what you're looking for!

Crank up the sounds of the rainforest while you write, relax to the sounds of Victorian London as you read, listen to music reminiscent of your favorite computer or roleplaying game as you cook dinner. This has a TON of cool things to play in the background no matter what you're doing. I've fallen asleep to the sound of a fake rainstorm before, it's ridiculously relaxing, and the options here are practically endless. Check this out and pass it on, because it's just that neat.


*7 Reasons to Own Less*

"Never underestimate the power of abandoning crap you don't need," the author says, and boy, do I agree.

It felt so good this summer to drop those two carloads of stuff off at the thrift store. SO. GOOD. I have another pile started, too.

My problem now is that even though I'm not spending my time caring for *that* stuff, I'm still caring for everyone else's stuff. Remember my basement? The overwhelming majority of that was Not My Stuff (which is why it took so long for it to get cleaned out. I kept waiting for the other people in this house to take care of their own belongings, and after 3.5 years, it didn't happen). The overwhelming majority of things I spend my days cleaning up is Not My Stuff. It's a source of frustration to me that I have streamlined my own belongings, but not only have the rest of my family not done that, they leave those belongings strewn all over the house for me to clean up. If anyone has any ways to make peace with that (because so far, explaining to them that I don't want to spend my time cleaning up their stuff and that doing all that extra work causes me physical pain because of my back has yet to make any difference), I'm all ears. My dream is that everyone here gets rid of the stuff they don't need and organizes the things they do, but that's pretty much akin to a kid dreaming of Santa bringing a sparkly unicorn on Christmas morning at this point. ;)



And that's all I have for today! It's been an exhausting week here, and the weekends aren't usually any more relaxing, so I'm not sure when I'm going to get a break. Possibly never! Good thing coffee was on sale this week. ;)

Have a great weekend, everyone! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment