Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Merry Christmas! You're getting strep throat! (A completed project)

No worries. I'm not sick. No one's sick.

But my husband will be getting strep throat.

For Christmas.

"How can you possibly know that?" you ask.

Oh, I'll show you.

Tada!


You remember from your biology textbooks what strep throat looks like under a microscope, right? They're sphere-shaped bacteria, chained together, and they make you miserable. It's like knives in your throat when you swallow. Fortunately, that's not the kind I'm giving him for Christmas; no one wants that!

My husband is a scientist. He loves what he does and he's amazing at it, so what better gift for him than one that is science-themed? The science he does at work is far above my head, and I'm not a scientist at all, but I can at least present him with something science-y under the tree for a bit of a laugh this year, hand knit, of course!

Much more pleasant than the real thing.


The pattern I used came from House Full of Monkeys. She calls for safety eyes, but I just used a bit of black yarn and embroidered a happy face on mine. Because who says strep throat can't be happy while it's making you miserable?

This was a really great pattern. It's super simple to follow and I had no problems with it whatsoever. The only change I might make, if I were to make another one of these, would be to start stuffing it a little earlier than the end. I had forgotten how awful stuffing things is- I'd made a stuffed teddy bear years ago and stuffing that thing, along with sewing the pieces together, was enough to make me want to jump off the roof face-first. But that's it. I hung out on my chair with my two cats and watched reruns of Law & Order while I knit. All in all, it was a pretty relaxing project.

I've even got a super dorky poem written out for when he opens it; wanna hear it?

*groan*

In case you can't see it, it reads,

You didn't need a sweater
And you didn't need a coat.
So instead this Christmas,
I have give you strep throat.

Totally merry, right? 

Our strep throat buddy will reside happily in my gift stash with the other Christmas presents I have stored away. It's not an enormous pile, but it's growing, and that makes my planner heart happy.

So there we have it! A super fun, super adorable project that will make one scientist very happy come Christmas morning. Thanks to House Full of Monkeys for such a great pattern, I really enjoyed making this. 

Onward to the next knitting project, whatever that may be! :)

6 comments:

  1. Love your creative gift for your husband! I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years. Thanks for the links for the vegi loaves. I printed them, & look forward to trying them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the loaf recipes; we're big fans around here. :)

      Delete
  2. Hehe!
    So cute, and good for you on a unique (for your hubby, anyway)guy gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad to be ahead of the game this year! He's kind of tough to buy for. He has a display of fun stuff on his desk at work, so who knows, strep throat may join it! :)

      Delete