Monday, December 3, 2018

Weekly recap: 12/2/2018

Uggggggghhhhhhh.

That's pretty much the overwhelming sound of this past week.

Seriously. It was so rotten that it's almost not worth writing up, so my apologies for the off-ness of this week. Hopefully next week will be better!!!

Let's get this show on the road!


MONDAY

If you remember last week's recap, I finished up by saying that my daughter and I were about to go outside to do our snow walk and start shoveling. Well...once I got out there, I realized how deep and how heavy the snow was, and I knew that if I didn't get to work right then, I wasn't going to get the driveway done at all. And since I was the only adult home...you see the dilemma.

So instead of going on our snow walk, my daughter played in the snow, and I started to shovel. And shovel. And shovel. And shovel.

Did I mention that I shoveled?

THREE HOURS. THREE HOURS OF SHOVELING. Do you know what that does to a person's back, especially when they already have back problems?

I do.

This is what pain looks like.


This is literally the only picture I took this week (and I had to go out and shovel MORE after this because the snowplow came by and buried us in again). And while I was shoveling, I kept having to blow my nose- at first I thought it was because of the exertion and cold weather, but it became apparent as the day went on that indeed, I was getting sick. YUCK. I was exhausted and sore after this, and after we ate lunch, I took a nap right along with my daughter.

For dinner, I took a ton of random leftover things in the fridge and freezer- sauteed vegetables, steamed sweet potatoes, chickpeas, pinto beans, leftover taco-flavored lentils, a small amount of ages-old frozen okra- and paired them with an onion, a can of tomatoes, and some seasonings, and turned it all into what I called refrigerator soup. And I'll be darned if it wasn't delicious! I cleaned the kitchen, cleaned my daughter's room, scraped the mountain of snow and ice off the car, and went to Walgreens to drop my husband's prescription off. That was when he texted me to let me know the trains were running late, so we went back home and hung out there until it was time to pick him up.

All I did that night was put away dinner and watch two episodes of Supernatural with my husband before bed.


TUESDAY

Everything. Hurt.

The right side of my back was pretty much screaming all day long. I had a nasty sore throat and a cough, and my daughter started the day out with an hour-long tantrum because I gave her what she had asked for for breakfast.

You read that right. I asked if she wanted her leftover English muffin pizza for breakfast; she said yes, and when I gave it to her, she threw a fit.

Just one of those days, you know?

I still managed to do my basement chores and filled and ran the dishwasher before dropping her off at school. I then ran to Walmart, where I needed cat food and litter and shampoo (of course I needed the heavy items on a day that I was already in terrible pain! *lolsob*). I came home to bring those items in, then picked my daughter up when it was time. I napped again during her nap, then unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, and made a batch of dough for cinnamon rolls. I reheated the leftover soup for dinner, picked my husband up (we stopped by Walgreens to pick up his prescription), and read a book from my own shelves after dinner.

I put away the leftovers and baked the cinnamon rolls. They ended up just a tad overbaked (though everyone still scarfed them down!), so I'll bake them three or four minutes less next time, although I finally realized that I think I like the idea of cinnamon rolls more than I actually like eating them. ;) Husband and I watched two episodes of Supernatural before bed.


WEDNESDAY

Everything still hurt, and the cold was definitely in full swing by this point!

I unloaded the dishwasher and spent the rest of our time looking for my daughter's two lost library books (which we didn't find, argh! Little aggravates me more than lost library books). I dropped her off at school and ran to the library those books came from, renewing them and checking out two more books for me. After that, it was off to Aldi, where I did the week's grocery shopping and ran home to put most of the groceries away. I picked up my daughter and drove home and told her to hang out for a minute while Mama went to the garage to put away the marked-down pizzas she'd bought in the garage freezer.

And then I went out to the garage.

Where I fell.

Because of course I did. 

Fortunately, it wasn't a hard fall, but it was enough to do some pulling on my bad right side, and it shook me up pretty badly. It's not the first time I've fallen; three years ago, I slipped on an icy patch while holding my daughter and went down. She was okay, because I managed to twist in a way that she didn't get hurt, but I was really sore and my elbow, which I landed on, hurt for months. This time wasn't that bad, but already being bad off, it didn't help, either.

Nevertheless, I persisted, and during naptime, I made a lovely batch of Vegan Creamy Ginger Carrot Sweet Potato Soup. I may switch out the thyme for rosemary next time, but this ended up being surprisingly good. I also threw together a batch of vegan corn muffins to go with. I don't normally serve soup this many times in a row, but it was a cold snowy week and no one minded. :) I spent the rest of the afternoon on the heating pad, while my daughter used her doctor kit on me and tried to make me feel better by piling more and more toys on top of me. It's the thought that counts, right???

When it was time, we picked my husband up and stopped by Walgreens again so he could return his Redbox movie. I dozed off in my chair at home, put dinner away, and watched two episodes of Supernatural with my husband before bed.


THURSDAY

Injection Day Part II!!!

I wanted to get the house in order for me taking it easy, so I unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, cleaned the kitchen, and took out the recycling. I did my basement chores, then took my daughter to school and relaxed at home until it was time to pick her up. We met my mom at home, and I fed them lunch (I wasn't allowed to eat, because of the impending anesthesia) and packed a snack bag for my daughter, and then it was off to the pain doctor. (My mom brought her iPad and they were just going to hang out in the waiting room until I was done.)

They put me to sleep for the injection into my SI joint, and I was definitely more sore after this one than I was the last, although that could be because it was my second in the series and they'd just poked me with a needle back there a few weeks ago. Hopefully I'll get some more relief out of this; I have another appointment with him in a few weeks to see how I'm doing, and we'll go from there.

At home, I rested and dozed in the chair while my mom played with my daughter. I went with her to pick my husband up when it was time (she drove, I wasn't allowed yet because, again, anesthesia), and we had an Aldi pizza for dinner (that I'd bought the day before. I'd considered throwing something in the crockpot but decided to just give myself a break, what with being sick and all). I rested and read throughout the rest of the evening and watched two episodes of Supernatural with my husband before bed.


FRIDAY

By this point, the cold was basically sucker punching me. I was a MESS. Coughing, snot, exhaustion, the whole nine yards. I gave my daughter a bath in the morning, and then we headed off to Walmart to pick up a few things, including some cough drops. She wanted to play at a library in another town, so she played while I read my library book and avoided people. I napped again during naptime (I swear, I haven't napped this much since I was pregnant!), cleaned the kitchen and ran the dishwasher, and then we had to go to the library in our town to exchange books, where we met my husband. Dinner that night was spaghetti with jarred sauce, I finished a library book, and my husband and I watched two episodes of Supernatural before bed.


SATURDAY

My husband was pretty awesome this day; he took my daughter to gymnastics and I spent almost the entire morning in bed, feeling like I'd been run over by a truck. I did manage to unload the dishwasher and clean the kitchen, but I spent most of the day reading a library book while my husband took my daughter to play at her cousin's house. We watched two episodes of Supernatural before bed, and I spent a good portion of the night awake coughing. :(


SUNDAY

My sister-in-law came over with her son (I don't have a fever and am not throwing up, so they were okay with my germs; my nephew is coughing as well, so it's all good, haha!), so I cleaned up the kitchen and ran the dishwasher before they arrived. The kids played, and I finally finished the mitten I started knitting for my daughter over Thanksgiving weekend (I'll put up a post of the set). 

After they left, I really wanted to read my library book, but instead I dozed during my daughter's short naptime, since that's what my body decided it wanted. My husband and daughter cleaned up her room in the search for those missing library books, and I decided to make another calm, thorough search of the downstairs, where I found those two books squished in the shelf with our own books. SUCCESS!!! 

They headed off to a playplace at a mall about 20 minutes away from us. I picked up my son from his friend's house and relaxed for a while before helping him with his Music Theory homework. My husband and I watched two episodes of Supernatural before bed.


What a crummy week, right??? I'm feeling a little better this morning. My cough quieted down a bit and I would've slept perfectly fine if it hadn't been for my cat somehow getting himself stuck in the handle of a plastic bag at 3 am. Getting him out wasn't difficult, it came right off, but I have a hard time falling back asleep if I wake up, so I was awake until after 4 am. Eesh.

My son has his big holiday choir concert this week on Thursday, so I'm looking forward to attending that (a few weeks ago at the musical, I told my mom, "The holiday concert is coming- get ready for me to get sick!" Lo and behold, here I am! I have a nasty cough for this concert EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. So frustrating, and embarrassing when I'm hacking away during a solemn song). Otherwise, I'm just hoping for a more productive week around the house- at least more productive than this week has been!

I hope your week was better than mine!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh honey that sounds like a tough one and then to fall on top of it! My week was rough also and I am hoping that this week is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fall was just the rotten cherry on the melted sundae! I hope this week is better for both of us! :)

      Delete