Friday, January 18, 2019

Friday thoughts 1/18/2019

Batten down the hatches, folks! We're gearing up to get some weather. Nothing too crazy- I saw Bangor, Maine is supposed to get something nuts like two feet of snow during this storm! I think our forecast states something like 5-9 inches, so we'll see how that goes. And then the temperatures fall. Our highs after Saturday are only in the low teens. I'm more concerned with that than the snow!

Here's the weekly roundup of interesting things I found online this week!


*Man Sleeps 5 Hours a Night as "Experiment"; Moms Everywhere Are Like, So?*

Have you ever rolled your eyes so hard, you practically sprained something?

That was me when I was reading this.

This guy slept 4.5 hours at night, took two naps during the day, and thinks he should receive a medal for it.

NO.

I'm not trying to play the Suffering Olympics here. I'm sure he felt terrible- I have no doubt about that. Messing with your sleep is no joke. But dude. DUDE. I did this every day of my life for 18 months. I hallucinated. I drove through stoplights. I forgot where I was going as I was driving down the road at full speed. I thought of something I needed to do, stood up, and had no idea why I was standing. All because I regularly woke up 6 times a night with my daughter, between 11 pm and 6 am, and she didn't nap at that point, so I couldn't nap either. And no one was falling all over themselves to congratulate me for it. Mostly, people just rolled their eyes or laughed (which only served to make me feel worse). After I started having serious concerns about killing us all while driving, we let her cry for a night or two and she started sleeping normally, and I finally got five straight hours in a row and felt human for the first time in almost two years, but she's 4.5 now and I still don't feel like my brain has fully recovered from all the sleep it missed out on during that time (maybe if I could get more than 6.5 hours a night, but that's not possible right now).

So yeah. Hearing about this dude's experiment irritated me to no end. You want to hear how awful sleep deprivation is? Talk to some of us moms and believe us, because we know.



*Case report: Woman gives herself a C-section and saves her baby*

WHOA.

This is just a brief medical abstract, but to sum it up, a woman who lived in a village with no electricity, no running water, and no prenatal care, ended up having to give herself a C-section in order to deliver a live baby. The village nurse provided some post-section medical care, and then the poor mother had to travel to the nearest hospital, which was EIGHT HOURS AWAY BY CAR.

She was discharged from the hospital ten days post-section.

I could not have done that, could not have sliced myself open, and am horrified that that seemed to be her only option. I'm not saying that everyone needs to live the lifestyle that we live in Western countries, but man, I wish women had better medical care around the world so that a DIY C-section never had to be an option.



*Sherrilyn Kenyon accuses husband of 'Shakespearean plot' to poison her*

Holy cow.

I haven't read Ms. Kenyon's books, but I'm familiar with her, so I was stunned to read this article. It's honestly like something out of a thriller novel or a movie. She tested positive for high levels of some scary stuff after filing for divorce and only improved when she spent time away from her husband. Her husband, via his lawyer, seems to be scoffing at it all.

What a scary situation. Check your food, friends.



*'Frosty had the last laugh': Vandal tries to run over giant snowman, hits tree stump instead*

*giant grin*

I do my best to be kind to others and generous in my thoughts, even to those who are unkind to me. It's something I actively work on, because kindness is in such short supply around the world these days. But sometimes, when someone does something horrible solely for the sake of being horrible, it's nice to see karma come back, in this case fairly immediately. :)

The people in this story got a large amount of snow for what sounds like the first time, at least for one of them. They celebrated by building a nine-foot-tall snowman around a large tree stump in their yard, and the picture of it is adorable. Good for them, right? It's so nice to see people take joy in simple things, like building a snowman in the yard.

Along comes some jerk who has to ruin it all. Tire tracks lead up to the stump, where someone obviously tried to run it over, because no one can have nice things without someone else trying to ruin it for them, apparently. But Frosty had the last laugh, because his base was a large snow-covered tree stump, and odds are, the driver has some self-inflicted front-end damage right now, a fitting end for someone whose goal was seemingly ruining someone else's joy.

(I'm assuming that the police ruled out, via examining the tire tracks, the possibility of an accidental off-roading due to conditions. I would be entirely sympathetic to a person who accidentally slid off the road and smacked into Frosty.)

Moral of the story: being a jerk only comes back to hurt you in the end. Don't be that person, folks!



And that's about it! I hope you all have a fantastic weekend, no matter what the weather where you're at. Stay safe, and I'll see you Monday. :)

2 comments:

  1. Be careful in the storm and don't hurt yourself. We are waiting for it to start snowing. I guess the guy that slept 5 hours never had kids.I nursed all 3 of my kids and would have loved to get 4.5 solid hours. Then he got to take 2 naps. They doesn't happen when you have 2 kids.All of us moms are laughing at him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My husband used the snowblower on the driveway and I stayed warm in the house. It was amazing!

      Yeah, that article just about killed me. Like, seriously, dude? This is NOT news to anyone who has given birth or been responsible for the full-time, nighttime care of an infant. I'm not sure why he thought this was something new!

      Delete