Friday, December 10, 2021

Friday links: 10 December, 2021

 Happy Friday!

I hope you all have a fun weekend planned, or a relaxing one. We’ll likely get the Christmas tree up at some point (we’re an interfaith family), and we may have some outdoor plans with friends, so hopefully the weather holds up. I desperately need to get more reading done, and I’d like to get more work done on my grandmother’s cross stitch. And maybe a nap or two in there. The new comforter I bought the other day is sooooooooooooo soft! I sleep on top of the comforter, covered by a heavy fleece blanket (because of my back, I frequently switch positions during the night, and this way I’m not constantly waking my husband up by rustling or stealing the covers!), and it was like sleeping on a cloud. Two thumbs up from me!

Here's what I’ve found interesting online this week. (My apologies for there being so many downers this week!)

 

California firm touts ‘mushroom leather’ as sustainability gamechanger

So, a lot of people out there have ethical reasons for not wearing leather, which is perfectly fine. An industry of vegan leather has cropped up to serve those people, but unfortunately, that’s problematic as well, as a lot of the products out there are made from plastic. And the environment really doesn’t need more plastic in it. Enter…mushroom leather! An interesting solution. It would be nice if everyone on earth could be fed before we started making clothing out of food, but I’ll take a win for the environment wherever it comes. Would you wear mushroom shoes or a mushroom jacket? Maybe carry a mushroom purse?

 

Our home on native land

This is a website where you can enter your address and learn which tribe’s land you’re living on. For example, where I live is Miami land, which is something I often think about when I’m outside in my yard- the native people who walked on, hunted, and foraged or grew plants on this land before people who look like me showed up. What were their lives like before and after being forced off their land? Are any of their descendants still alive today? I’m going to need to do some reading about the Miami at some point. If you live in the US, this is history you need to grapple with and learn about. No one has ever been served well by knowing less.

 

Cognitive rehab: One patient’s painstaking path through Long Covid-19 therapy

Oy. This is a sad article to read. The woman in question had a mild case of Covid, didn’t even need to be hospitalized, and still suffers not only from Long Covid, but devastating neurological effects. She has to be reminded of the steps to brush her teeth. She can’t quite figure out what to do at red lights. She confuses days of the week and has a harder time caring for her autistic daughter. This is the reason my family was so, so strict in terms of precautions before we were able to get vaccinated. And we’re still not letting our guard down too much; breakthrough cases happen and I’m not eager to tempt fate!

I know two people from my hometown who ended up at Shirley Ryan Ability Lab after having Covid.

 

The Staggering Number of Kids Who Have Lost a Parent to Covid-19

This? Another bummer of an article to read, but if you’re able to read it (The Atlantic offers a few free articles per month; otherwise, it’s behind a paywall), I highly suggest you do, because this is our reality now. I’ve seen this go down online, instances where both parents didn’t take the pandemic seriously and now they’ve orphaned their three, five, eight kids, and even more instances where kids lose one parent. Let me repeat: this is our reality now. These kids are going to be your kids’ classmates, their teammates, your grandchildren’s friends. Your niece or nephew might date someone who lost a parent or both parents to Covid. These kids are going to suffer the trauma of losing a parent- especially hard to fathom when their deaths came after the vaccines were available and the parent/s refused to get vaccinated- and growing up with their sense of security damaged. Many of them will live in families that have suddenly descended into poverty; some will be sent to live with relatives; others will find themselves in foster care. None of them will have the lives they expected or their parents dreamed of for them. Our schools are woefully equipped to support a generation of kids who have suffered such loss. This is going to have ramifications for generations, truly.

 

And that’s it for this week! Wishing everyone a peaceful, relaxing weekend, wherever you are and whatever your plans are!

No comments:

Post a Comment