Thursday, December 23, 2021

What's Been Going On: Monday, 20 December - Wednesday, 22 December, 2021

 What a lovely week this has been so far!

There’s really something so nice when our kids are home from school, isn’t there? I homeschooled my son until he was nine, and then I was pretty much counting down the days until every single break, because he was so much fun to have at home. My daughter has been a different story; it’s been clear from the beginning that she learns better from other people, so homeschooling was never really an option for her (believe me, if it were, I’d gladly keep her home right now!), and I was thrilled for her to go off to kindergarten (and, uh, maybe learn some of those behavioral skills she obviously wasn’t showing me she’d learned at home! Her kindergarten teacher called her her ‘angel child’ and seemed shocked when we told her that our daughter’s nickname at home was The Beast, haha). But she’s grown and matured and we have so much fun together now on her days off. I’ve had such a nice time with her this week!

Here's what I’ve been up to so far!

 

Monday, 20 December, 2021

After coffee and breakfast, I posted my Monday post, then posted my review for Children Under Fire: An American Crisis by John Woodrow Cox over at my book blog. I scooped the litterbox, loaded the dishwasher, and tidied and swept the living room. I wiped off the stovetop, got dressed in some cozy, at-home clothes, and my daughter and I tidied her room and then sat down to read a few books on climate change. Last week’s heavy winds and high temperatures had prompted her to ask what climate change was, so I’d gone to the library and found some children’s books that explained both the science of climate change and things that we (even kids!) can do to be better to the earth. This has led to some great conversations between us, and I love when her thoughtful side comes out.

I put several sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot and cooked up some Soyrizo to go with dinner, and I made a batch of Spanish rice in the rice cooker. And then I made up what I called our ‘fancy lunch,’ and my daughter and I had lunch together. It’s just steamed sweet potatoes with white beans, salsa, and a little cheese, but she absolutely loved it, and I thought it was really good as well!

 


After lunch, we worked on my Read Harder project for 30 minutes (I read my The Joy of Sects by Peter Occhiogrosso; my daughter read a middle grade series novel. I told her she had to help keep me on track when she was home, and she readily agreed). My husband came home and we did 22 minutes of Pilates while my daughter laughed at us and played on her Kindle.

Some days, Pilates wears me OUT. I wanted to read, but ended up napping for a while instead. When I got up, I took out the garbage, the recycling, and the compost, and I hauled the cans to the curb. I prepared a batch of Garlic Brussels Sprouts, leaving a few behind to steam in the Instant Pot, since my daughter hadn’t liked the oven-roasted ones the last time I made them. I unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, replaced the garbage bag, and played on the computer while the Brussels sprouts roasted.

I stirred the Soyrizo into the Spanish rice, and we had the Brussels sprouts on the side (and of course my daughter liked the oven ones better this time!). This was a really tasty dinner!

 


After dinner, I did my Duolingo, showered, showered my daughter, and cleaned up the kitchen and put dinner away. I read my book, and my husband and I watched one episode of Cold Case Files before bed.

 

Tuesday, 21 December, 2021

After breakfast and coffee, I prepared a pot of Cauliflower Potato Soup in the Instant Pot (no link; I adapted this from a cookbook, and it’s a family favorite. One day, I’ll put up a post about it...). I loaded the dishwasher and wiped down the counters, I posted my review of When I Grow Up: The Lost Autobiographies of Six Yiddish Teens by Ken Krimstein on my book blog, and then it was upstairs to read with my daughter! We read a bunch of books about activism, about using your voice to point out what’s wrong, standing up for what’s right, and the importance of taking action to make things better. All lessons that I hope she’ll take far into the future!

We spent the morning reading; after lunch, we returned back upstairs to my daughter’s room to do our 30 minutes of Read Harder (I finished the section on Islam and began the section on New Age religions). When the timer went off, I finished reading American Baby: A Mother, a Child, and the Shadowy History of Adoption by Gabrielle Glaser. When my husband got home, we did 20 minutes of Pilates, and then I began reading Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World by Pénélope Bagieu (a book I stumbled across at the library last week).

I blended the soup and we ate dinner. I did my Duolingo, biked, showered, read, and put my daughter to bed (we began reading Rad Girls Can: Stories of Bold, Brave, and Brilliant Young Women by Kate Schatz). I read more of my book, and my husband and I watched two episodes of Cold Case Files before bed.

 

Wednesday, 22 December, 2021

Even when my daughter is off school, I’m still committed to doing my volunteer work, so after breakfast and coffee, I set to work on an hour’s worth of work. My daughter, meanwhile, started on a project I’d found earlier this week: the local grocery co-op-to-be put out a call for coloring some pages for a local nursing home to bring them some brightness and cheer, so I had my husband print them up. She had gotten a few pages done by the time I was finished, so I grabbed some of the tougher ones, that looked more like they came out of an adult coloring book, and got to work. This took us all morning, but we were pretty pleased with the results!

 


We got dressed, packed up the pages, and drove across town to drop them off, then came home so I could prepare some breakfast burritos for lunch. Afterwards, I unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, swept the living room floor, finished reading Brazen, and then it was time for 30 minutes of Read Harder.

When my husband got home, I headed out the door; I stopped by Aldi (so busy, yikes! I did buy a new set of flannel sheets, though!), the Dollar Tree, for wrapping paper, and the library, to pick up a bunch of books. At home, I put the groceries away and took out the compost, then sat down to write this post. I wrote two book reviews, then chopped up mushrooms to put on the pizza I put in the oven. (I love nights when I don’t have to cook!)

We had dinner and I did my Duolingo. I showered (no biking or Pilates today; my arms and legs were so sore from Tuesday!), put dinner away, and then dove into my next book, Challenging Pregnancy: A Journey Through the Politics and Science of Healthcare in America by Genevieve Grabman, from NetGalley. My daughter wanted me to put her to bed, so I did that, and then it was more reading before watching two episodes of Cold Case Files with my husband before bed.

 

And that’s it! I’ll see you tomorrow for Friday links. Whatever your plans are, be safe about them. Things are a little scary out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment