Friday, February 25, 2022

Friday links: 25 February, 2022

 Happy Friday, friends!

We woke up to a little more snow this morning, and we may see a little more on and off throughout the day. I slept terribly again last night; worries about Ukraine and being too hot, then too cold kept me up. I could’ve slept in much later, but we got up and got our day started anyway. I’m going to get some challah started before we start school. Feels like a good day for some comforting carbs, eh?

Here's what I found interesting online this week!

 

Wisconsin child dies of rare condition linked to COVID-19

These articles just break my heart, and I want to rage and scream and throw things at the people who constantly push the line that COVID isn’t serious for kids. Maybe in most cases it isn’t, but there can be serious consequences (I saw a family whose two kids both had MIS-C after a COVID infection, and one of the kids was also diagnosed with diabetes after COVID), and parents should be aware that they’re rolling the dice with their children’s health. My father is a Type 1 diabetic, and I’m terrified of my daughter or anyone in our family ending up with medical challenges like he’s had. This is why we’ve kept her home; I have no desire to play Russian roulette with her or my health.

 

6 Spices You’ll Be Amazed You Can Grow Yourself

We’re inching closer and closer to warmer weather and growing season! I don’t know exactly what I’ll be growing yet- we don’t have a very big garden, and my back tends to flare enough in the summer that I’ve never been able to manage anything we grow by myself, so my husband is usually in charge- but I have a few extra growing containers this year, so I’ll have at least a few things I can handle myself! I like the idea of being able to grow my own ginger; I always keep fresh ginger wrapped in foil in the freezer, and growing my own would save money and feel so cool. : )

And finally…

 

A Bookstore in a Bus in the Bronx

Yes! I love this! Bringing books to the people. And when the rent is too high, why not make it mobile?

This is the kind of creative thinking I adore (and man, I wish my brain worked like this!). The owner saw a problem, then came up with a solution that worked to fix it. And it’s clever and cute and fun to boot! Three cheers for Books in the Hood!

 

That’s all I’ve got for now! I’m hoping this weekend will be a little more chill than last. I don’t have as much housework to do- my daughter and I will tidy up her room, and I told her I’d mend a rip in one of her favorite skirts, and I need to do a load of laundry, but I’m hoping I have some time for doing some Hebrew study, which I haven’t been able to get to for weeks. Fingers crossed!

May your weekend be productive, peaceful, and exactly what you need to feel whole. Shalom, friends.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    ...yeah...that's the thing about Covid...you just don't know how it will affect you...we had a guy in our congregation that got Covid...and after he recovered he was telling everyone that it wasn't that bad...and the Man said...well...you were lucky...we just don't know...stay safe...and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it. I've seen so, so many people say, "It's just a cold," and then, for them, it's not a cold, not even close. This is a case where I'd MUCH rather be safe than sorry, because there's some sorries there's no coming back from. :( Be safe and enjoy your weekend!!! :)

      Delete
  2. when we lived in a rural area there was a bookmobile that traveled through the county for the kids, it was a nice day to meet the mobile and take the kids to pick out books to borrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that so much! It's so wonderful the length libraries go to in order to ensure that everyone gets books. :)

      Delete