Monday, February 21, 2022

What's Been Going On: Thursday, 17 February - Sunday, 21 February, 2022

 Busy, busy, busy!

It was a weekend full of getting done all the things I don’t have time for during the days these days. I think we’re in kind of a transition period right now, where it’s going to take a little bit of time for me to figure out what works when and what’s the best way for me to accomplish the things I need and want to, so bear with me during these weird times!

So with that quick introduction, here’s what I was up to the second part of last week!

 

Thursday, 17 February, 2022

The good thing about homeschooling is that there’s no alarm clock. The bad thing about homeschooling is that you can oversleep easily. I like to get started earlier rather than later, so oversleeping is *not* my friend, but it was because I was awake for a good three hours throughout the night. I threw on some clothes, had breakfast and coffee, filled and ran the dishwasher, posted Thursday’s post, and we got started on writing. We did math, finished our book on garbage, and did a grammar lesson (reflexive/demonstrative pronouns), and read a book on jobs.

After lunch, I unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher. We read two chapters from A History of US: Making Thirteen Colonies by Joy Hakim, did our 30 minutes of Read Harder/silent reading (I’m reading A Room with a View by E.M. Forster), and then I dozed a bit. I sauteed some onions, garlic, peppers, and zucchini, and made a batch of cinnamon vanilla waffles, then put in an hour of work for my volunteer job. I chatted on the phone with my son, then scrambled some eggs, and we had breakfast for dinner.

I did my Duolingo, cleaned up, and then it was time to virtually attend a webinar on combatting book banning- super interesting info, and I got some cross-stitching done while listening. These are the napkins I found in my grandmother's cross-stitch stash that go with her table runner, so I'm working to complete these now.



I showered and began reading The Day the World Stops Shopping: How Ending Consumerism Saves the Environment and Ourselves by J.B. McKinnon. My husband and I watched one episode of Deadly Women before bed, and I slept MUCH better this night.

 

Friday, 18 February, 2022

After breakfast and coffee, I wrote and posted my Friday post, then got dressed. I scooped the litterbox and filled and ran the dishwasher, then my daughter and I got started on math. We read part of a book on camping (her choice; she loves camping), did more math (in addition to her regular curriculum, we’re also working through a book on time and money, both of which are weak spots for her), and then I talked on the phone with my kiddo’s school principal.

It was a very pleasant conversation, but my daughter is now formally withdrawn from the school district, which makes me really, really sad. I love her school and the people there, and I’m heartbroken that it’s come to this. I don’t mind homeschooling her at all, but I shouldn’t *have* to to keep her safe, you know? I have some paperwork I need to send into the state board of education, but that’s it. We’re officially homeschoolers now.

After lunch, I picked up a bag of leggings from a woman on Freecycle who lives just about two miles away from me, from whom I’ve picked up a bunch of stuff in the past. Three of the leggings were LulaRoe, which I would never pay retail price for, but which are super soft and I snag whenever I find at places like church yard sales and Freecycle. At home, we read two chapters of history, my daughter worked on her writing, and we did our 30 minutes of 30 minutes of Read Harder/silent reading.

I hit up three grocery stores after school. Nothing good in the sales flyers, but I did come home with three packages of cheese ends, a bag of marked-down mixed fruit, a bag of marked-down zucchini and one of mushrooms, and a storage ottoman Aldi *finally* had in! I had a smaller one from Freecycle, but I’d wanted a larger one, and the one Aldi had advertised a few times had been held up by shipping, but it was FINALLY there! Twenty bucks and this thing is perfect. It’s a great height for my hips, and my daughter and I can BOTH put our feet up, which is good, because this is where we sit when we do school in the living room. I’m thrilled with this!

I put the groceries away (and set my ottoman up), tidied the living room, emptied and reloaded the dishwasher, then put the spaghetti on to boil and baked the garlic rolls I’d bought. After dinner, I did my Duolingo, showered, and put away dinner and cleaned up. I sat down to cross-stitch, and then it was time to virtually attend my synagogue’s Shabbat services.

 


I read for a little bit, and my husband and I watched one episode of Deadly Women before bed.

 

Saturday, 19 February, 2022

Breakfast and coffee, then it was time to get dressed and head to the library with my daughter! We went a little nuts with the books…

 


We went over to Michael’s; I don’t like spending money on Saturdays, but I also don’t like to make special trips, and this was the only time I was planning to be out for a while, so I made the exception because I found myself almost out of DMC 907. I ran the dishwasher when we got home, and after lunch, I did some organizing around the house. I unloaded the dishwasher and refilled it, chopped and dehydrated the mushrooms I’d bought the day before, made a batch of tofu meatballs (using the rest of the sauce from the night before!). I cleaned the kitchen and dealt with the bag of mixed fruit I’d bought, then wiped off my gross stovetop. I put the tofu meatballs in the oven, then I sat down to make out a menu for the week. I’d realized that with homeschooling, I didn’t have enough time to figure out meals in the morning, and that left me scrambling, so this will help.

While the tofu meatballs cooked, I caught up on some computer things, then threw the tater tots in the oven, and moved some frozen veggies out to the garage freezer. I filled and ran the dishwasher again. After dinner, I did my Duolingo and showered, then started a load of laundry and did more things on the computer. I put dinner away, put my daughter to bed, switched the laundry, read my book, and my husband and I watched an episode of Deadly Women before bed.

 

Sunday, 20 February, 2020

After breakfast and coffee, it was time to hit the ground running! I got dressed, emptied and refilled the dishwasher, took the recycling out, folded a load of laundry and put half of it away. I stripped the bed and put the sheets in the wash, and took the now-dehydrated mushrooms out of the dehydrator and added them to the bag. I threw dinner in the Instant Pot- Creole Black-Eyed Peas.

My daughter and I cleaned her room. It wasn’t as bad as it can get, but it was still pretty scary! Afterwards, I showered her, and then it was time to cut her hair. She’d been asking me to cut it for a week now, and I finally had time (and the lighting was good!). I ended up cutting off a good five or six inches this time. I don’t often post pictures of her online, but is she not the cutest?!?!??? I can hardly stand how cute she looks with shorter hair!!!!

 


I took the compost and recycling, switched the laundry and started a new load, and then it was time for lunch. I put away the other half of the clean laundry (in my daughter’s room; I could actually get to her closet now!). My daughter and I had made an agreement to do a chapter of math today, so we got to work on that (she did great!). While she worked on her problem set, I put the sheets back on the bed, and after she finished, I took a much-needed nap!

After dinner, I did my Duolingo. I showered, put dinner away, then grabbed the blanket and pillow cases from the dryer and put them back on the bed. I put dinner away, and then it was time to snuggle in bed under the blanket with my book. I read for a while, and my husband and I watched an episode of Deadly Women before bed. At some point in the night, I woke up to find my daughter snuggled next to me, and the cat snuggled under the blanket with me. : )

 

That’s a wrap for last week! Nothing on the calendar for this week, just our regular agenda of school and home things. At least I don’t have to worry about laundry and a majority of the housework, right???

Have a great week, friends!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    ...another busy few days...reading is such a good way to 'learn'...and I think it's perfect for homeschooling...so many topics and discussions...and you've got quite a stack of books there...your grandmother's cross stitch napkins are adorable and they'll be so perfect with your table runner...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *love* children's nonfiction, so this is my favorite part of homeschooling! Kids' books break down concepts so well and make things so enjoyable to learn; I have fun doing this.
      The napkins are much quicker than the table runner as a whole, so I'll be done with them in no time- whenever I actually get time to work on them, that is! :) Have a great day!

      Delete