Monday, February 28, 2022

What's Been Going On: Thursday, 24 February - Sunday, 27 February, 2022

 


Happy Monday, friends! Back at it for another week!

Tiny bits of spring in the air around here. We hit 40 degrees this weekend, the snow is mostly melted, and some of the trees even have buds on them. Of course, there’s every chance the weather could turn and all those buds could die and fall off and need to sprout all over again, but it’s nice having that hopeful feeling in the air, especially with everything going on in the world right now. Even one good thing is reason to celebrate, right?

Not a hugely restful weekend this past weekend. Nowhere near as busy as last weekend, but I think things are just going to be constantly busy around here for a while, and I’m just going to have to mentally- and physically- adjust (as I type this, my left knee is bothering me. No idea what I did). Give me a few weeks and I might be at that point where I’m used to it, although right now it feels a bit like I’m on a hamster wheel with no exit…

Here's what I was up to the second half of last week. : )

 

Thursday, 24 February, 2022

After breakfast and coffee, I put a batch of white beans in the Instant Pot, got dressed, and used our world map in order to give my daughter a brief explanation of what’s happening in Ukraine. I didn’t want her to overhear something or peek at something over my shoulder on the computer and not understand it and be scared, so I let her know what was going on. We started our school day with On This Day in History and geography (Ireland!), then got settled with math, followed by a ten-minute wiggle break for my wiggly kiddo. We read more Native American myths (she really likes these!), finished our book about astronauts, and read more of the book that discusses the economics of how products are made.

We had lunch, I unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher and made an Instant Pot full of vegetable soup, took out the recycling and compost, then cleaned up the kitchen. I herded my daughter through Language Arts, we read part of a book that answers kids’ science questions, she did her writing, then we did our combined 30 minutes of Read Harder/silent reading (I’m currently reading A Room with a View by E.M. Forster). Afterwards, my daughter asked that we keep reading the science questions book, so we did and went past the normal school ending time. ; )

I dozed for a few minutes, then read a little, and then it was time for dinner. I did my Duolingo and showered, put dinner away, then played on the computer for just a little bit. I went upstairs to read and finished reading The Day the World Stops Shopping: How Ending Consumerism Saves the Environment and Ourselves by J.B. MacKinnon. I started reading Period. End of Sentence.: A New Chapter in the Fight for Menstrual Justice by Anita Diamant, and my husband and I watched an episode of Deadly Women before bed.

 

Friday, 25 February, 2022

After breakfast and coffee, I wrote my Friday post, started a loaf of challah, and got dressed. I kneaded the challah, scooped the litterbox, then we started with On This Day in History and geography (fittingly, this day’s country was Israel!). We did a really long math lesson, finished the book of Native American myths, read a book on squirrels (did you know that their nests are called dreys?), and read more of the book about the economics of how products are made.

I loaded and ran the dishwasher and we had lunch. I braided the challah, and then we did spelling and Language Arts. We read three chapters of history, half a book on huge math numbers (my daughter says she hates math, but she really liked this book. She’s actually good at math when she focuses), and part of another book on slow things. We did our 30 minutes of Read Harder/silent reading, and I baked the challah (why are there no candles that smell like freshly baked challah???).

I did my favorite (HA) ten-minute ab workout and would have done it again, but my husband was cold and had cranked the heat up, so it was a bit toasty in the house! I hung out on the computer before dinner, then did my Duolingo and repeated that ab workout before showering. I cross-stitched, then I logged on to my synagogue’s virtual Shabbat services. My husband and I watched an episode of Deadly Women before bed

 


 

Saturday, 26 February, 2022

Breakfast and coffee, and then I worked on my monthly recap post for my book blog. I got dressed and read, and I drove to the post office to mail out the knitted squares for my friend’s memory blanket. I stopped by the library to return a load of books, then ran into the Dollar Store to grab a few things since I was out. At home, I had lunch and dozed briefly, then unloaded and refilled the dishwasher and ran it.

I finished my book blog recap, then worked on my monthly goals update for this blog. I did a little bit of Hebrew study, did that 10-minute ab workout again, and returned to studying Hebrew (Hebrew makes my brain feel like soup. The grammar is intense).

 


I boiled some frozen pierogies for dinner, did my Duolingo, and showered. I showered my daughter and put her to bed, read my book, and watched one episode of Deadly Women before going to bed.

 

Sunday, 27 February, 2022

Breakfast and coffee, and then I weeded out the jeans I hardly ever wear (due to my chronic pain issues, they’re not hugely comfortable. I decided I’d try a pair on this day, and for a few hours, it wasn’t too bad. It felt weird wearing them again, though; they don’t really feel like me anymore!). After getting dressed and ready, I cleaned my daughter’s room. Again.

 


 



I ran to GFS for some bulk peanut butter, then it was home for lunch, and since it was almost 40 degrees and sunny, we went for a walk. Back home, I sauteed an onion, worked on this post, then dove into a few more pages of Hebrew. I prepared a batch of baked spaghetti and threw it in the oven, then finished my Hebrew chapter (PHEW. Possessive endings for singular nouns. My brain is going to take some serious time to process and remember these…).

I visited some of my favorite blogs, then it was time for dinner! I did my Duolingo, made up a batch of muffin batter for Monday’s breakfast (I used to do this when my daughter was in preschool; I’d prepare a batch of muffin batter the night before, throw it in the oven to bake when I showered in the morning, and then we’d have a nice breakfast of hot, fresh muffins! She liked the idea when I reminded her of it the other day, so I promised I’d start this up again), cleaned up after myself, then baked the shortbread cookies we’d prepared earlier in the week. The dough was really crumbly, and I kind of had to form a bunch of my own cookies instead of just slicing and baking, but they tasted really good!



When the cookies were done, I headed upstairs to read, where I finished my Anita Diamant book. My husband and I watched one episode of Deadly Women before going to bed.

 


And that’s it! So far, this morning is going swimmingly with our new routine (dishwasher is going, we’re enjoying warm muffins, and I’ve already scooped the litterbox!). We’re off to start our school day in a bit. May your weeks be peaceful and productive!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    ...the muffin idea is a winner...and your shortbread cookies look delicious...I seriously need to go through my stack of jeans...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The muffin idea has definitely been a winner! I use the recipe from The Complete Tightwad Gazette so I can customize it based on what I have to use up (mushy bananas, yogurt, canned pumpkin, cranberries, etc). Every batch is delicious in a different way! The cookies were really good. I don't bake cookies very often, and especially not shortbread, but we all enjoyed these. :)

      Delete