Friday, June 3, 2022

Friday Links: 3 June, 2022

Good morning! It’s a beautiful cool, sunny morning here, and I’m feeling pretty good! Definitely not something I’m taking for granted.

We’ve got a busy day as usual around here. My daughter has her counselor appointment, and I’ve got SO much cleaning and organizing that needs to happen, along with more homeschool planning. I actually got started on planning for the fall yesterday and I’m feeling pretty good about it so far. Still a lot of work to do, but there will be some fun things coming up, and I’m looking forward to it!

Here's what I found interesting online this week!

 

With food prices climbing, the UN is warning of crippling global shortages

It’s going to get worse before it gets better, folks. I’ve been hearing dire warnings for the fall and winter in terms of food availability, so if you’ve got Depression-era cookbooks and manuals that can help you polish up your skills of making a lot out of a little, now’s the time to dust them off. I’m guessing we won’t feel the brunt of it here in the west, which leaves me feeling more than a little guilty and depressed about how much the rest of the world will be suffering, while people will be complaining here that Doritos are super expensive. As usual.

 

Demand at food banks is way up again. But inflation makes it harder to meet the need.

Oof. Food banks are already struggling to meet the demand. This doesn’t bode well for this winter. Take care of your friends and neighbors, because they may not be able to get what they need elsewhere.

This really worries me.

And now for the most American headline I’ve ever read…

 

Individual Open Carrying AR-15 Gets Robbed at Gunpoint in St. Louis

So, a man with a gun got robbed at gunpoint. The gunless man went to his car, where he pulled out another gun, and he engaged in a gunfight with the man who stole his first gun. Two bystanders who were just minding their own business got shot, along with the first robber.

So much freedom, right??? *sigh*

But here’s something a little more upbeat!

 

A North Carolina woman creates the first book featuring crochet patterns with dolls of color

Eeeeee! How cute are these??? (And how on earth has there not been a book of Black doll patterns up until now??? I'm actually shocked by that!) I absolutely love that crafters will be able to make the little Black girls in their lives dolls that look and have hair texture and styles like them! I LOVE Mia the Afro Puff Cutie. I don’t know if my crochet skills are up to par (I can do hats and blankets and I’ve made small Pokémon, but nothing as complex as these dolls), but what gorgeous work; my daughter would absolutely die for one of these dolls! I hope this book is super successful.

And finally…

 

Authors Explore Jewish Identity

Yay!!! There has definitely been an increase in books with identifiable Jewish main characters in the past few years, and I am HERE for it!!! It makes me so happy to pick up a new book where the characters randomly drop Yiddish words, mention Jewish holidays, or casually include some random Jewish cultural knowledge that may seem offhand but that makes perfect sense to anyone familiar with the culture. It really is those little things sometimes, you know? I’ve got a new Jewish middle grade novel waiting for me from NetGalley, and I’ve read a few of the books mentioned in this article. Turtle Boy by M. Evan Wolkenstein was incredible (it’s middle grade fiction and seriously so, so good!), and I currently have How to Find What You’re Not Looking For by Veera Hiranandani checked out from the library right now. Thank you, authors! It makes me so happy to not only see myself in these pages, but to know that young Jewish kids, the Jewish future, are able to see themselves in these pages as well.

 

And that’s it for this week! As long as my head cooperates, tomorrow is the day for my tickets to Live at the Met!, where the Metropolitan Opera is broadcast live on movie screens. My son had gotten us tickets for Christmas, but he’s not able to go, so my mom is coming up to go with me. We’re seeing Hamlet, and I’m pretty excited. Crossing everything that it all goes smoothly! (And we’ll absolutely be wearing our N95’s the entire time. No worries there!!!)

Wishing you all a wonderful, relaxing weekend. Shalom, friends. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment