Thursday, June 2, 2022

What's Been Going On: Monday, 30 May - Wednesday, 1 June, 2022

I’m alive! Still kind of dizzy as a side effect from both the medication and the migraines, but they haven’t killed me off yet!

Yeesh. Migraines are some rotten business, let me tell you. This past weekend was one of the least fun of my life. Even when the icepick-jammed-in-the-brain feeling went away (thank you, meds!), the rest of the full-body migraine experience is left behind, and that kind of feels like all the worst parts of the flu (including the vomiting and other unpleasant aspects of it). I didn’t feel achy this time, though I have in the past, so, you know, yay for that?

I’m still not quite 100% back to normal – I should say, I’m not feeling 100% back to normal. I’m pretty much running as normal, with a few extra breaks here and there. Focusing on the computer is still a little tough for me, but I’m managing okay for the most part.

Here’s what I’ve been up to so far this week!

 

Monday, 30 May, 2022

Not much to report this day. It started off okay, and we were actually on our way to my mother-in-law’s house when suddenly, SPLAT, in the middle of my vision, one of those awful visual disturbances that signifies a migraine is on its way. My husband had to turn around and drop me off at home. This made for Migraine Day 3. I was SO upset.

I took the meds early enough that the whopper of a headache stayed pretty tame and I was just left feeling awful otherwise. I managed to clean the kitchen on this day, and I picked up some clothing for my daughter from Freecycle on the end of my street (don’t worry, the visual disturbance had long since cleared and I could see just fine!) and cleaned the kitchen. Other than that, I rested and read in a not-too-bright room. I also scheduled my follow-up visit for my neurologist the next day!

 

Tuesday, 31 May, 2022

I woke up feeling exhausted but without any head pain, so I tiptoed into the day and had some coffee. I got dressed and scooped the litterbox, then managed an hour of volunteer work (screens are still making me feel a little dizzy and disoriented, so this wasn’t super easy). I emptied and refilled the dishwasher, got some chickpeas into the Instant Pot, put my daughter’s car seat back into the car, then relaxed until it was time to leave for the doctor.

My son accompanied me (and my daughter, too!) to the neurologist, because I was worried I’d end up with a migraine like the day before, complete with visual disturbances, and not be safe to drive home (it took an hour for the meds to clear the SPLAT in the middle of my field of vision up on Monday), so he and my daughter hung out on their various tech devices while I chatted with Dr. S., who is super nice and also super younger than I am, haha! He’s sending me for an MRI next week, just to make sure nothing new is going on, and he also gave me some Zofran (an anti-nausea med. He’s wondering whether part of my problem isn’t that I’m not keeping enough of the migraine medication down for it to be as effective as necessary. I’d also like to point out that this is the first time in my adult life that my insurance actually covered Zofran. They wouldn’t even cover it to keep me out of the hospital when I was pregnant, NOT THAT I’M STILL BITTER ABOUT THAT TWENTY YEARS LATER OR ANYTHING *ahem*).

At home, we all had lunch, and I emptied and refilled the dishwasher. I prepared the bottom part of dinner, this Chickpea Pot Pie, with random veggies I had in the freezer (this ended up being really good, but weirdly, I think it was even better the next day!), then I worked on Wednesday’s post a little before heading to the library with my daughter to pick up a few books. She’s been a reading machine lately!

At home, I made up the biscuit mix part of dinner, then read while the bottom half baked. I added the biscuit top and baked that, and when it was done, dinner was served! I did my Duolingo, and my son and I went for a 3-ish mile walk. I put dinner away and showered, ran the dishwasher, and put my daughter to bed (we finished reading Frindle by Andrew Clements). I read my book for a while, and my husband and I watched one episode of Unusual Suspects before bed.

 

Wednesday, 1 June, 2022

Happy June!

After breakfast and coffee, I edited and posted my monthly recap post over at my book blog, then edited and posted my monthly goals update here. I did an hour of volunteer work (still not so easy! I always forget how long it takes for me to get back to normal after a migraine), then made out my grocery lists and tidied the living room.

I went over a bunch of things on Pinterest with my son. He’s gained a lot of weight the last two years and wants to take it off, so we’re working on some meal prep-type ideas so he can have lunches pre-portioned and ready to go. He was also talking about joining one of the local gyms with my husband, so I feel like he has a good handle on what he needs to do in order to get healthier. We found quite a few ideas to make for him, and I’m glad. : )

I emptied and refilled the dishwasher, and we had lunch. I looked through my Pinterest and hung out with the kids, and when my husband got home, my son and I picked up a library book that had come in and hit up four grocery stores (one is right across the street from the other, so nothing out of the way!). We ended up with a marked-down fruit collection, a bag of jalapenos I’ll toss in the freezer, and a massive tray of discount bananas, which I chopped and froze as soon as we got home. I also cooked the pizza and took the peels out to the compost.

After dinner, I did my Duolingo, and my son and I went on a FOUR-mile walk, stopping to drop three books off at a Little Free Library on the way. I showered and got to work on this post, then my son and I took a few of those marked-down bananas and turned them into a batch of muffins.

I farted around on the computer for the few minutes I had left before my husband came upstairs, and then he and I watched one episode of Unusual Suspects before bed.

 

And that’s it! Now, if my head behaves *crosses fingers* I should have something interesting coming up on Saturday with my mom. Other than that, though, not much else going on! I’m going to get started planning for the next school year today, I think, at least a little. I’ll grab my notepad and my stack of homeschool books and go relax on my swing while I plan. Definitely going to enjoy the process. : )

I hope you’re all having a wonderful week so far!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Stephanie,
    ...bless your heart...you sure do still accomplish a lot even with the headache...I hope your weekend is much much better...
    ~Have a lovely day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Weekend was definitely better. Little bit headachey this morning, but nothing too bad, so I'll take it! Wishing you a great week! :)

      Delete