Thursday, June 23, 2022

What's Been Going On: Monday, 20 June, 2022 - Wednesday, 22 June, 2022

Good morning! Another week almost over. This summer is flying by way too fast; I’m going to need these days to have at least another good sixty hours each in order for me to get everything I want to done!

It’s been super hot out this week, but I haven’t let that stop me one bit. Proper hydration is key, but I’ve been chugging water like crazy and it’s all been good. I don’t mind winter at all, but I *really* love being able to go outside, even when it’s 98 degrees, so I’m going to wring every last bit of enjoyment out of this season, no matter how much I sweat while doing it. : )

Here's what I’ve been up to so far this week!

 

Monday, 20 June, 2022

After coffee and breakfast, I finished writing my Monday post and got that up. I got dressed, emptied the dishwasher, and refilled and ran it. We gathered our library books, and then we were off to the library (I grabbed one book; I’m still making my way through several books and didn’t need more). And then we did a bit of geocaching!

There were a few caches in the area and we found two of them (we’re saving the others for our next trip):

 



 And then we took the art tour of downtown that the app offers. Our town has a bunch of different sculptures all along Main Street, done by the same guy, so we got to check them out up close thanks to the app directing us all to them. Here’s my favorite part of the sculpture outside the bank on Main Street, an inflated piggy bank:

 


We stopped into the Dollar Tree for a new whiteboard, some notebooks, and toothpaste (all for my daughter, who was likely hungry at this point, because she was a crabby little beast), and then went home for lunch. After we ate, it was time to head out to the porch for reading! I read my ten pages of I and Thou by Martin Buber, then read more of Library Lin’s Curated Collection of Superlative Nonfiction by Linda Maxie.

We were out there so long that by this time, it was time to reheat the leftovers for dinner! After we ate, I did my Duolingo and 30 minutes of volunteer work, then went for a 3-mile walk by myself (93 degrees at this point!). 



I took out the garbage and recycling and hauled the cans to the curb, put dinner away, and showered. I read my nighttime book (The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish), and my husband and I watched one episode of Unusual Suspects before bed.

 

Tuesday, 21 June, 2022

I took out the compost and had my coffee, then did an hour and ten minutes of volunteer work. I got dressed and called the eye doctor. I had planned on calling on this day; my daughter needed her yearly exam (we keep an eye – ha! – on one of her eyes, which has a tendency to turn a bit), but she had broken the earpiece of her glasses the night before, so that made sure I didn’t forget to call! Unfortunately, while they did say they’d fix her glasses, no problem, the office had stopped accepting our insurance in January, so I would need to find a new eye doctor for her.

 We drove over to the eye place; turns out the earpiece broke due to a defect, so they’re going to order a whole new pair of frames and just put her lenses in there (and these will be her backup pair of glasses when she gets her new ones). We drove over to the Dollar Tree for some duct tape, for a temporary fix (since the new frames will take a week to 10 days!), then went home so I could repair them.

I cleaned the kitchen, scooped the litterbox, and got some beans in the Instant Pot. I hung out on the computer for a bit, and then it was lunch time. I filled the dishwasher, tidied the kitchen, and tidied and swept the living room. I wrote 1.5 book reviews, and then my son and I ran over to a local supermarket to grab some eggs on their last day on sale (a good call, since no one else had eggs this low on Wednesday). We also found a geocache in the parking lot. : )

We stopped by Aldi on the way home for some cheese, since my husband had eaten the last of it at lunch and I needed some for dinner. At home, I filled out paperwork for the new eye doctor I’d found for my daughter, finished that second book review, and filled and ran the dishwasher. I got dinner going, Cheesy Vegetarian Chili Mac (I added red peppers), and we all LOVED it. It would be good without the cheese as well. : )

Even though it was 96 degrees, my son and I packed extra water and went on a 3.2-mile walk (where we also found a geocache! I didn’t have a pen, so we couldn’t sign it, but we’ll do that when it’s cooler and not so buggy; it was hidden in a wooded area and I got a few bites). At home, I did my Duolingo, put dinner away, and showered. I put my daughter to bed (we started reading American’s Horrible Histories: Are We There Yet by Elizabeth Levy). I read my book, and my husband and I watched an episode of Unusual Suspects before bed.

 

Wednesday, 22 June, 2022

My son’s 20th birthday! SO bizarre to think he’s 20 and no longer a teenager.

After coffee, I took out the compost and recycling, I made out our grocery list (strawberries are on sale this week, 88 cents per 1-lb container!!! I may go back later in the week to get more and make freezer jam). I did my final 20 minutes of volunteer work, then got dressed and started a load of laundry. I emptied the dishwasher and refilled it, took out more compost and recycling, then cleaned the kitchen, wiping down the counters and scrubbing off the stovetop.

I switched and hung the laundry, and then it was time to settle down for more homeschool planning. That took up the rest of the morning, but after lunch, I was right back at it. I took a break to do a 10-minute, then a 5-minute ab workout with my son (which I can very much feel this morning; I can only imagine how he’s going to feel, since he’s not used to this!).

 My son and I left for groceries when my husband got home, hitting three stores, then we picked up a pizza from a local place (his request for his birthday dinner). At home, I put the groceries away, then we had dinner and I did my Duolingo. I showered, we had birthday cheesecake, and I did a little more homeschool planning before putting dinner away, putting the greasy pizza box in the outside trash, and heading upstairs to read The Weight of Ink. My husband and I watched one episode of Unusual Suspects before bed.

 

And that’s it! There’s another book sale this weekend. Do I need to go? Absolutely not. Do I still *want* to go? YOU KNOW I DO. Still trying to make up my mind on this one. We’ve got my daughter’s new eye doctor this afternoon, and her counselor tomorrow, so we’ll be keeping busy no matter what!

Stay cool out there, friends! Drink that water!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment