Thursday, May 5, 2022

What's Been Going On: Monday, 2 May - Wednesday, 4 May, 2022

Chilly morning here, but that’s okay, because warmer days are coming! (Just, uh, not today. Cool and rainy. Boo.) We’ve even got some 80+ degree days in the forecast, including one that’s 87 degrees! I was right when I said it would go straight from the 40’s to 90. No happy medium here!

Fortunately, this week has been a little less hectic than last, and I’m glad. I don’t mind when things get a *little* crazy, but when I have 784327438927498 things to do on top of it, that’s when I start getting overwhelmed. Not quite so much this week. Much better! : )

Here’s what I’ve been up to so far this week!

 

Monday, 2 May, 2022

After coffee, I finished writing and posted my Monday post. I got dressed, scooped the litterbox, emptied the dishwasher, and put some beans in the Instant Pot.

We started our school day with On This Day in History and geography (Mongolia). We did math, spelling, and language arts, and we started a book called Lighthouse for Kids (super neat; talks about kids who lived in families where Dad was a lighthouse keeper and all the unique challenges they faced, along with lots of technical info about the different types of lighthouses and the history of them).

After lunch, I made a batch of sweet potato chili in the Instant Pot and emptied and refilled the dishwasher. We started our afternoon with a fairy tale from Hans Christian Andersen, did two chapters of history, read from our science book, and read more about fashion history. And then it was time to pile in the car to hit the library!

Our first order of business while we were there was to sign up for summer reading, both my daughter and me (yup, my library has a summer reading program for adults! I won a gift certificate to a craft store five years ago thanks to the summer reading program, but mostly I just do it to see how many books I can read in that time period). And then, of course, we got a few books. : )

At home, we did our 30 minutes of Read Harder/silent reading (I’m still reading The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Music History; my daughter is plowing her way through a stack of Judy Moody books), our 15 minutes of journal writing, and then I hopped on the computer and did 30 minutes of volunteer work. (I will say that the language that most rehab and addiction treatment centers use is a lot more respectful and kinder to their clients than that used by food pantries. It’s a bit of a relief…)

After dinner, I did my Duolingo. I took out the trash and recycling and hauled the cans to the curb, then replaced the trash bag. I showered, then put Sylvie to bed (we read half of Chocolate Fever by Robert Kimmel Smith). I read my book, and my husband and I watched two episodes of Toe Bro.

 

Tuesday, 3 May, 2022

I had coffee, then I got dressed. Easy morning!

We started our school day with On This Day in History and geography (Montenegro). We did math, spelling, and language arts, then we read more from Lighthouses for Kids. I loaded and ran the dishwasher, and then it was time for lunch!

We watched an episode of Horrible Histories, did two chapters of our history book, a little of a science book, and one Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale. We read a chapter of a book called Be the Change, about sustainable living, and then it was time for 30 minutes of Read Harder/silent reading. 15 minutes of journal writing, and then we were done!

I did 45-ish minutes of volunteer work, then emptied the dishwasher and ran it on a cleaning cycle. I tidied up the area at the end of the bed and took some extra books downstairs, then mended several holes in a pair of my daughter’s pajamas. I visited a few homemaking blogs, then it was time for dinner (leftovers) and Duolingo.

I did a 20-minute Boho Beautiful pilates video (their videos are SO pretty! Juliana used to be a rhythmic gymnast, so that’s why she’s that flexible. Just in case you decide to do one of her videos and wonder why you’re not that bendy!). I showered, put dinner away, and then finished reading Chosen by Stephen Mills before going to bed.

 

Wednesday, 4 May, 2022

Up early this morning! I had coffee, then read a chapter of The Matzah Ball by Jean Meltzer while waiting for my computer to load up (absolutely loving this book so far! I don’t read a lot of fiction – mostly because I just love learning so much, but also because I’m so picky about my fiction – but this is really great). I checked the grocery ads, but there was nothing good. I got dressed, started a load of laundry, filled the dishwasher, took out the recycling, cleaned off the stovetop, and swept the kitchen.

We started our school day with On This Day in History and geography (Morocco). We did math, then I switched/hung the laundry. We did spelling, language arts, and read some Lighthouses for Kids.

After lunch, I folded and put away the laundry, then switched out the garbage bag in the bathroom and took the full one out. I took out the compost and recycling, then ran the dishwasher. We watched one episode of Horrible Histories, read two chapters of histories and one chapter of Be the Change. We read one Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, then read more of fashion history. And that was it for the day!

I stopped by my son’s to pay his phone bill, then picked up a prescription from Walgreens and dropped off some library books. And then it was off to Aldi for a few groceries. LOTS of empty shelves there, no eggs whatsoever, and a bin of $7 watermelon. Yikes! Times like these, I’m happy I’ve learned to be really versatile in the kitchen, along with having a well-stocked pantry.

At home, I put everything away, then settled down for 45-ish minutes of volunteer work (could’ve been more, actually. I wasn’t keeping track very well). I cooked the pizza, and after dinner, I did my Duolingo, changed my clothes, and headed out on a walk, since it was nice enough! I saw this lovely flower:

 


Let’s not talk about how I fell over trying to take a picture of it, mmkay?

At home, I showered immediately because I was disgustingly sweaty (it was only in the 50’s, but I was wearing a sweatshirt, plus I really hoof it when I walk), then I put my daughter to bed (we finished reading Chocolate Fever), and read more of my book. My husband and I watched an episode of Unusual Suspects before bed.

 

And that’s it! I definitely feel more relaxed this week than last. Tonight, I’m attending a virtual book talk with Riva Lehrer, author of Golem Girl, so I’m really looking forward that. Not much on the agenda for this weekend, either, so I’m hoping to get plenty of reading done, along with – ugh – mowing the lawn. My left hip is really unhappy about the walk last night, so we’ll see how that goes.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    ...so glad you've had a calmer week...it doesn't seem less busy though...haha...I can't believe we're already a week into May...and mowing is a thing again...haha...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I KNOW!!! I cannot believe I have to mow again this weekend. YUCK!!! It's *so* hard on my lower back and hips; our yard is really uneven in places and the mower is SO heavy. If only I could rent a herd of sheep for a day or two...
      Wishing you a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete