Thursday, March 3, 2022

What's Been Going On: Monday, 28 February - Wednesday, 2 March, 2022

 Another few days of constant motion! Anyone else feel like they need a vacation to just do nothing? If you get one, can I go with you???

We’ve had some beautiful weather so far this week. We were even able to open the windows a bit yesterday, which is really unusual for this time of the year. I’m really hoping March isn’t going to swing back around and punch us in the face at the end of the month to make up for it!

Here’s what I’ve been up to the first half of this week.

 

Monday, 28 February, 2022

I filled and ran the dishwasher, then baked the pumpkin-chocolate chip muffins (I’d made the batter the night before and stuck it in the fridge). I scooped the litterbox and edited and posted my review for Challenging Pregnancy by Genevieve Grabman over on my book blog, and then it was time for coffee and breakfast. I edited and posted Monday’s post, got dressed, and tidied up the living room with my daughter while we listened to the news on NPR.

I tossed a batch of chickpeas in the Instant Pot, and then it was time to get started with On this Day in History, geography (Italy), and math! Afterwards, we read from our book about volcanoes and earthquakes, read more of our book about large numbers, and read more from our book about the economics of stuff and where it all comes from. We had lunch, I unloaded and refilled the dishwasher, and took out the compost.

We did Language Arts and spelling, read three chapters from A History of US: Making Thirteen Colonies by Joy Hakim, and did our 30 minutes of Read Harder/silent reading – I finished reading A Room with a View by E.M. Forster! Woohoo! (I’d first read part of this book when I was younger, probably around 12, lost interest halfway through, and have felt bad about it ever since. No more!). We read part of a book on the history of voting in the US, and then we were done for the day.

I made a batch of chickpea vegetable nuggets and got the broccoli into the Instant Pot to steam, then loaded up and ran the dishwasher again. It was nice out enough that we took a two-mile walk. I warmed dinner up when we got home, and then we ate. I did my Duolingo, put dinner away, showered, then started reading The Cold Vanish: Seeking the Missing in North America’s Wildlands by Jon Billman (this is SO good!). I put my daughter to bed, read some more, and my husband and I watched one episode of Deadly Women before bed.

 

Tuesday, 1 March, 2022

Breakfast and coffee, I posted my monthly update on my book blog, and posted my monthly goals update here. I got dressed, unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, vacuumed under the kitchen table (it needed it. Badly), then tidied the living room while listening to the morning news on NPR.

We started our day with On this Day in History and geography (Jamaica), then settled down with math. We started a book on the history of fashion (my daughter is the girliest girl you can imagine, so she LOVES this kind of stuff, and I like that it teaches her some history along the way!), then read more of our book on volcanoes and earthquakes. We read more of our book on big numbers, then read another section of our book on the economics of all the things we buy.

After lunch, I chopped and steamed some carrots and zucchini in the Instant Pot, and then we worked on spelling. We read three chapters of history, did our 30 minutes of Read Harder/silent reading (I started reading Everything You Need to Know About Asian-American History by Himilce Novas and Lan Cao with Rosemary Silva), read more of our book about the history of American elections, and did more spelling practice.

I prepared an Impossibly Easy Vegetable Pie for dinner, filled the dishwasher, juiced two lemons that were getting soft (then added the rinds to my jar of vinegar cleaning solution), took out the compost, and sat back down for an hour of volunteer work. I baked the casserole, spent a few minutes on the computer, and then it was time for dinner.

I did my Duolingo, showered, put dinner away, read my book, put my daughter to bed, read some more, and my husband and I watched one episode of Deadly Women before bed.

 

Wednesday, 2 March 2022

Breakfast and coffee, then I made out my grocery list (strawberries on sale! Yay! And grapes!). I got dressed, scooped the litterbox, loaded and ran the dishwasher, then tided and swept the living room while listening to the morning news on NPR.

We got started with On This Day in History and geography (Japan), then math. We read more of the book on volcanoes and earthquakes, finished both the book on large numbers and the book on the economics of the stuff we use every day, then read more of the book on the history of fashion. We had lunch, worked on spelling and language arts, and read three chapters of history. We did our 30 minutes of Read Harder/silent reading, and my daughter worked on a little more math and spelling.

I headed out for groceries and stopped by two grocery stores. I was SUPER excited to find, on the marked-down shelves, FIVE bottles of marked-down conditioner! Four were 99 cents; the other was 79 cents. You better believe I took all five bottles home with me!!! What an awesome score!!!

 


At home, I put the groceries away, unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, and took out the recycling. I checked my daughter’s schoolwork, then did an hour of volunteer work. I cooked the pizza, and then we had dinner. I did my Duolingo, and then it was off to the library to pick up a book from Interlibrary Loan, one of my favorite nonfiction books from when I was a kid (the other book is what arrived in the mail a day or two ago; I won it in a Goodreads giveaway! Looking forward to reading this, as it’s Jewish middle-grade fantasy!).



I made a batch of cranberry-pumpkin-chocolate chip muffin batter, stuck it in the fridge, and cleaned up after myself. I showered, put my daughter to bed, and then read my book. My husband and I watched one episode of Deadly Women before bed.

 

Not much planned for this weekend, thankfully! Hopefully it’ll be a quiet-ish one and I can get some of my fun projects done. Saturday is supposed to have a high of 67 degrees F, so we’ll definitely be spending some time outdoors that day! Do you have any fabulous weekend plans???

6 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    ...your homeschooling days are very busy for sure...I remember reading that pond book with our Airman...he was always so fascinated with reptiles and amphibians...I hope you do have a nice quiet weekend...
    ~Have a lovely day!
    ps...I've put the chickpea nugget recipe in my 'queue'...she does say that she's not been successful making them without the eggs...but I'm game... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck!!! A flax egg might work well here. I found their texture to be a lot like veggie burgers when I formed them, and I've used flax eggs successfully in some veggie burger recipes. I did have to add way more breadcrumbs than the recipe called for, so be aware of that! They were pretty good, and really, you could toss in just about any veggie you have on hand. I'd make them again!

      SO looking forward to reading that pond book. I'm crossing my fingers that my daughter loves it too!

      Delete
  2. You are a busy person. I don't know how you manage everything.

    Enjoy your books.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there are approximately 2347832749832 other things I DON'T get done during the day! I need more hours, haha! :)

      Delete
  3. I love how you are busy in the kitchen making delicious food, I need to do that more often - I tend to not want to be in the kitchen BUT I love to eat good food!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you tasted my husband's cooking, you'd know why I'm the chef. :D (I love the guy, but he is a TERRIBLE cook. Just terrible. Cooking all the time is really a selfish move on my part so that I don't have to eat his food, haha. I'm not actually all that fond of the act of cooking, but I do my best to maintain a good attitude about it, which helps.)

      Delete