Thursday, March 31, 2022

What's Been Going On: Monday, 28 March - Wednesday, 31 March, 2022

Good morning! Another rainy day here, which makes for a cozy, relaxing day at home. (Although I will need to go out later, to pick up a library book from Interlibrary Loan.) I don’t even have to cook dinner, because we are filthy rich in leftovers. I do need to get some laundry going at some point, and to fold last week’s laundry, but that’s really about it. This has been a super relaxing week so far, and it’s exactly what we needed!

Here's what I’ve been up to so far this week!

 

Monday, 28 March, 2022

Oof, a night of no sleep. After coffee, I wrote and posted Monday’s post. I scooped the litterbox, loaded and ran the dishwasher, cleaned off the stovetop, swept the kitchen, and ran my daughter a bubble bath. I got dressed, tidied a few things in the living room, scrubbed my daughter when she was ready, and made an Instant Pot full of refried beans.

I spent a little bit of time on the computer, did a few random, puttery things around the house, and then it was time for lunch. Afterwards, I helped my daughter tidy her room.

She and I curled up together and read for about an hour. I blended the beans, took out the recycling and compost and garbage, hauled the cans to the curb, and put the clean blankets back on the couch. I spent a bit more time on the computer, prepared the tostadas for dinner, and then we ate. I did my Duolingo, biked for 30 minutes, showered, and finished reading The Third Daughter by Talia Carner (SUPER good). I started reading Unmask Alice: LSD, Satanic Panic, and the Imposter Behind the World’s Most Notorious Diaries by Rick Emerson (absolutely fascinating so far!). My husband and I watched one episode of Deadly Women before bed.

 

Tuesday, 29 March, 2022

My daughter made me breakfast! :D After I ate it and had my coffee, I put some beans in the Instant Pot and we had a really relaxing morning. I spent a bunch of time on the computer and did an hour of volunteer work. I hung out on the computer a little more, tidied random things in the kitchen and living room, then started the first part of dinner, a larger casserole-sized version of Copycat Tamale Pie.

I took the compost out and cleaned up, then practiced the piano for a little bit. We had lunch, I took out more compost, then loaded and ran the dishwasher.

And then it was time to head to the neurologist! He sent me home with some new rescue meds, and we’re going to see how the migraines are doing in about three months. Crossing my fingers that they stay away. He told me about some supplements that some people find success with; I’ve put my scientist husband on the task of seeing what the science says about these things. I’m a little wary (okay, a LOT wary) of supplements in general; the husband used to work for a supplement company, and let’s just say that he hated it there because they wanted him to basically lie about all his results. (There’s a reason why he left there as soon as he could.)

On the way home, we stopped by the used bookstore to pick up a blank journal for my daughter to practice her writing in. At home, I prepared the polenta, hung out on the computer and did random cleaning while dinner cooked. We ate, I did my Duolingo, and then I did a 15-minute standing ab workout from HASFit. I like their workouts; they always offer a modified version and cheer you on for showing up.

I showered, read my book, and my husband and I watched one episode of Deadly Women before going to bed.

 

Wednesday, 30 March, 2022

Afer coffee, I made out my grocery list (rice on sale!), then did my second hour of volunteer work. I got dressed, cleaned out the fridge, took out the compost, brought in the cans from the curb, then filled and ran the dishwasher.

I spent some time going back and forth from the computer to cleaning random things around the house (some days, this is the best way to clean!), and then it was time for lunch. After that, I figured it was time to learn something new, so while my daughter played in her room, I turned on some music- Nefesh Mountain, whom I love- then made my first attempt at darning a sock.

 


Not the worst first attempt, but I totally see what I did wrong in this picture! Hopefully I’ll get better as I practice. Fortunately, I'm not exactly lacking in holey socks, so I'll have a lot of chances for practice in the future!

I emptied and reloaded the dishwasher, and then, since my husband was home, I left for groceries. I ended up with 26 pounds of rice (20lbs white, 6 lbs brown) for $16, which made me happy. This is the first time I’ve found brown rice in amounts larger than one-pound bags, and the cool thing is, these both came in reusable, zippered bags! I’ll be keeping and reusing the heck out of these. I also ended up with a marked-down contactless thermometer, something we’ve needed for years (my daughter haaaaaaaaaaaaaates regular thermometers), and Aldi had step-counter watches for $4.99. I got one for myself and one for my daughter (her birthday is next month), so I can make sure she’s getting enough exercise! Modern-day parenting solution right there. : )

At home, I put the groceries away, then read my book until dinner was ready. We ate, I did my Duolingo, then did a 22-minute HASFit workout. I showered, read my book, and my husband and I watched an episode of Deadly Women before bed.

 

That’s it so far! It’s been such a calm, relaxing week. I’ve been really enjoying homeschooling my daughter, but this break has been fantastic as well. Two months until summer; we’re planning on doing a kind of modified schedule during the summer, so it’ll be way more relaxed than what we do during the weeks right now. Nothing stressful, just fun, so I’m looking forward to that as well.

I hope your week is going smoothly as well!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    ...it's absolutely pouring rain here now...tornado watch a little bit to the south of us...so not sure I'll get to ride my bike today...but I have been back in the saddle since my cold is mostly over...I read a couple of reviews of Unmask Alice...it looks like a fascinating read...and the tamale pie looks good to...do you do individual ones or one big one?...I love darned socks...and I think yours is pretty perfect...I usually save yarn from my hand-knitted socks to use for darning...but I love using a completely different colour for darning too...I'm going to check out your workouts...I like to use the free YT Pop-Sugar ones...they're so upbeat and encouraging...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, stay safe! Those storms looked pretty fierce. We got snow yesterday, but nothing stuck, thankfully! Unmask Alice was definitely fascinating; I think I read Alice as a young teen, but I read Jay's Journal as an adult and thought it was utter hogwash.

      The tamale pie was SO good. I make one big one. My daughter ate 2.5 servings for dinner! I've been wanting to learn to darn socks for years, so I'm glad I'm on the path to becoming an expert now, haha. :D I'm part of a mending group on Facebook, and they've been inspiring me lately. Their multicolored mending is so pretty. I'll have to check out the Pop Sugar workouts. I'm always looking to add to my workout repertoire, it keeps things interesting!!!

      Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  2. Your post promoted a couple things. One, I'm looking for sources for local, not fast fashion, quality socks. I'll then need to learn to darn as those will be expensive, but worth it. And, I want to either start up Duolingo or babble to relearn French, but add some Spanish. I have the time lord knows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! It took me about an hour, maybe a little more, to darn that sock, but it's worth it, that pair is really comfortable. I've knit socks in the past and I've got plans to knit some more in the future, so I definitely want to keep those nice. Darning is a good skill to have, I think. :)

      And I'm cheering you on with French and Spanish! It's so much fun and so useful to be able to communicate in other languages. I took both French and Spanish in high school and wound up marrying a man from a French-speaking family, so I use my French every day. And the Norwegian I study on Duolingo has come in handy WAY more than you'd ever expect (including translating things from TV, at shops, and hearing it spoken when out and about. You'd never expect Norwegian to come in so handy, but it really has!). Excellent way to use your time wisely!!! :)

      Delete