Friday, August 12, 2022

Friday links: 12 August, 2022

Good morning, friends, and happy Friday! It’s so deliciously cool here this morning; the air conditioning is off and all the windows are open, and everything just feels so fresh. This is supposed to go on for at least a week or so, I believe, so I’m very appreciative of it all. I so enjoy being able to open the house up.

Not a great week for stories in the news, eh? I miss the days when we could watch and/or listen to the news and not be so depressed about the state of everything. I mean, the news has long been crummy, but now it’s like every story is a reason to panic. COVID. Monkeypox. Polio making a comeback. Climate change. Massive inflation. Everything is at the highest levels of awfulness possible, so it’s hard to maintain any kind of positivity when all these stories are out there and pouring down on us like a waterfall. I spent some time yesterday playing my guitar to escape it all. Good therapy right there.

Here's what I found interesting (ish) online this week!

 

Grocery prices in July had largest price increase since 1979 – with one food staple rising by 38% on the year

Oof. We all know how bad it is out there. Going to the grocery store is just depressing these days. Some of the prices are so high as to be comical. Who would pay that, even if they could??? I’m keeping our diets as basic as possible; it means more time in the kitchen, which, with school starting in ten days, that’s going to be tricky. My daughter needs a *lot* of direction and constant supervision when it comes to schoolwork; she’s not one of those kids you can tell to complete an assignment and she just gets it done. Spending more time in the kitchen during the school year will definitely mean a little more stress on me. One more thing that high grocery prices affect.

With all my volunteer work looking at food pantry websites, I have to wonder if there’s eventually going to be a sea change in terms of attitudes. So many of the pantries seem to look down on their clients and demand a ridiculous number of documents and ‘proof’ (can you hear my eyeroll?) that these people actually need help with food. With grocery prices so freaking high, pantries are seeing record numbers of people needingn help. Are these pantries going to stop poverty-shaming their clients? I’m not going to hold my breath.

 

“God, No, Not Another Case.” Covid Related Stillbirths Didn’t Have to Happen

There are correlations between COVID cases and stillbirths, and this is devastating to both the parents and the hospital staff who care for them. Pregnant people are at higher risk for complications from COVID and have also gotten vaccinated at lower rates, making them even more vulnerable. This article is just devastating and especially depressing with the news this week that we’re basically just going to do nothing at all in terms of keeping each other safe from COVID from now on. How many more unnecessary stillbirths will happen because of this???

 

Backyard hens’ eggs contain 40 times more lead on average than shop eggs, research finds

This article is out of Australia, but I can’t imagine that the studies would be all that different elsewhere. I recently read that if you live in an older home, you shouldn’t eat anything grown within twenty feet of your house, planted or foraged, because the risk of that plant being contaminated by lead is so much higher. Not a bad idea to get your soil tested (many county agricultural extension offices will over this service, at a fee). Definitely something to be aware of.

 

Rainwater Everywhere Now Considered Too Toxic for Safe Consumption, Study Finds

WELL. That’s depressing. We’ve really screwed everything up, haven’t we?

At least there’s this…

 

A vaccine for Lyme disease is in its final clinical trial

Lyme disease is nasty, and in some areas of the country, you’re practically guaranteed to get it (I used to live a very short drive away from Lyme, Connecticut, and we’d occasionally find ticks just crawling all around the house). This would be HUGE for people in those communities, as well as those who spend a significant amount of their lives outdoors. We used to have deer stroll through our backyard in Tennessee all the time, so whenever my son played in the little forest-y patch behind our house, I had to check him for ticks – and sometimes he had them. Lyme disease is devastating; I really hope this vaccine trial pans out.

 

And that’s it for this week! Planning on cleaning, reading, and spending more time with my guitar this weekend. My beleaguered soul needs it. What are you doing to keep your spirits up lately?

Wishing you all a wonderful, peaceful weekend. Shalom, friends. :  )

No comments:

Post a Comment