Monday, August 15, 2022

What's Been Going On: Thursday, 11 August - Sunday, 14 August, 2022

Greetings, friends, and welcome to, what is for us, the last week of summer break! How did this happen? I'm not ready for our long lazy days to end already. I need at least five or six more months of not having to wake up to the alarm, of reading out on the porch, of trips to the library and the forest preserves whenever we feel like it. I'm not ready for schedules, schoolwork, assignments!

But it's happening, and I'm actually looking forward to everything my daughter will be learning about this year. Fingers crossed that this school year goes smoother than the last. I have some strategies up my sleeve to get us through the tougher parts now, so I'm really hopeful.

Here's what I was up to the past few days!


Thursday, 11 August, 2022

After coffee and breakfast, I did a bunch of stuff on the computer. I emptied and refilled the dishwasher, made some enchilada sauce, then finished writing and posted Thursday’s post. I got dressed and ready, spent a little more time on the computer, and then it was off to Trader Joe’s to grab some stuff for our picnic lunch. We also stopped by the Dollar Tree for some tape and notecards

At the forest preserve, we had a picnic with my mom, then walked around for a bit. It’s always nice to spend time with her! At home, I put together the enchiladas, made out of leftovers from our homemade Chipotle bowls earlier in the week, then cleaned up. I relaxed and did some computer stuff while the enchiladas baked. After dinner, I did some other various things on the computer, showered, and read to my daughter, then played my guitar for a bit. My husband and I watched one episode of Unusual Suspects before bed.


Friday, 12 August, 2022

After coffee, I wrote and posted Friday’s post, got dressed and ready, then spent the morning playing guitar with my daughter (which helped distract her from the rotten mood she was in). We had an early lunch, I emptied and ran the dishwasher on a cleaning cycle, and then it was off to her counselor.


Afterwards, she and I read outside on the porch. I ran to the library to pick up a book from interlibrary loan, then did a few things on the computer. I showered and wrote a little bit (I ended up just having a peach and a slice of cheese for dinner; no one in the house was very hungry this night), and then it was time for synagogue services, back with my local synagogue (I’m still virtual; I’m trying to figure out if I feel comfortable enough to maybe try attending in person. I don’t know yet). I read my book for a bit, and my husband and I watched one episode of What We Do in the Shadows and one Unusual Suspects before bed.


Saturday, 13 August, 2022

After coffee and breakfast, I filled the dishwasher, got dressed and ready, then messed around with my guitar for a few. My husband and daughter and I went to the Dollar Tree and Half Price Books (I didn’t get anything), then came home  for lunch. I spent a bit of time on the computer, then put chickpeas in the Instant Pot and chopped and roasted a bunch of veggies for dinner. I dozed a little while the veggies were roasting (I had a headache and hadn’t slept well), then ran the dishwasher, took out the compost, and got the rice in the rice cooker. I emptied and filled, then ran the dishwasher again. I made hummus and some tahini dressing, then played my guitar for about twenty minutes. 


We had dinner - bowls of brown rice, a kale/arugula mix, roasted vegetables, hummus, and tahini dressing - I did my Duolingo, and my son and I went on a 2.5 mile walk. I put dinner away, showered, put my daughter to bed, read my book, and my husband and I watched one episode of Unusual Suspects before bed.



Sunday, 14 August, 2022


After getting dressed (another crummy night of sleep!), I had breakfast and coffee, emptied and refilled the dishwasher, and took out the compost. We had a slow morning where no one did much of anything, so I took care of some things on the computer. After lunch, my son and I went on a 3 mile walk, and then I sat down to work on this post a bit. 


I read out on the porch and finished As If On Cue by Marisa Kanter, then I threw together a bean and rice casserole for dinner, filled & ran the dishwasher, and took out the recycling. I played my guitar for a good long while, baked the casserole, and read more of The Explosive Child. We ate dinner, I did my Duolingo, showered, and showered my daughter. I read all of I Can Make This Promise by Christine Day, and my husband and I watched one episode of Unusual Suspects (and I slept terribly!).



And that’s it! Volunteer work, errands, and cleaning on the schedule today. I cannot believe August is already halfway over. I’ve still got to get my late kale seeds in the ground; we’ll see if I can make it happen this week! Otherwise, my goals for this week are to get the house more organized before next week, and to soak up the last few days of freedom. How about you?


Wishing you all a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment