Monday, August 22, 2022

What's Been Going On: Thursday, 18 August - Sunday, 21 August, 2022

Welcome to the new school year!!!


We start in fewer than two hours and we have everything we need; I just need to sharpen our pencils and take that super cute ‘NOT back to school’ photo for the grandparents. I’m more enthusiastic about starting school than my daughter is; I’ve been itching to dive into that pile of children’s nonfiction we started collecting last week and I’m super excited about all the fun things she’s going to be learning this year. We have a strategy in place for dealing with math stress; I can foresee Language Arts causing some drama (LOTSof writing this year, which is a huge change from the last few years), so we’ll figure that out as we go along. We may need to make some change, and that’s FINE. We’re learning how to do that.


Here’s what I’ve been up to the past few days! (Not sure what's up with the format here; Blogger is being a little weird this morning!)


Thursday, 18 August, 2022


After breakfast and coffee, I edited and posted Thursday’s posted, then posted my review for The Choice by Dr. Edith Eva Egar over on my book blog. I got dressed and ready, then it was off to another local library to pick up books for school. We stayed and played a little bit, then we stopped by the grocery store, where they still had no potatoes that were advertised as being on sale. Oh well! 


At home, we had lunch, and then it was up to my daughter’s room for a loooooooooong discussion about her frustration, which had erupted during lunch. We came up with some solutions together, and came up with a plan for handling her frustration during math this year. Fingers crossed! I threw together this rustic Italianvegetable bake, took out the recycling and compost, and emptied and refilledthe dishwasher. I hung out on the computer for a few while dinner baked, then after dinner, it

was time for a 2.25 mile walk with my son. I put dinner away, did my Duolingo and showered, read my book, andmy husband and I watched one episode of Unusual Suspects before bed.


Friday, 19 August, 2022


After coffee and breakfast, I wrote and posted Friday’s post, scooped the litterbox, and got dressed. I emptied and refilled the dishwasher, took out the recycling and compost, then took the popsicles we’d bought on Wednesday out to the garage freezer. I spent a little bit of time on the computer, then read on the porch while my daughter played outside. I finished reading Give a Sh*t by Ashlee Piper.


We had an early lunch, then it was off to the counselor. Afterwards, we stopped by Aldi to see if they had gotten in any mandarin oranges yet, but nope. We came home, I chopped veggies for the salad, made the dressing, and took out the compost. I read out on the porch, starting The Ravine by Wendy Lower, then warmed dinner and mixed the salad. We ate, I did my Duolingo, showered, and did some knitting while watching YouTube. I joined virtual Shabbat services when it was time, read my book, and my husband and I watched one episode of What We Do in the Shadows and one Unusual Suspects before bed.



Saturday, 20 August, 2022


After coffee and breakfast, I got to work and banged out five book reviews (I’m going to keep up writing these on the weekends; it’s too hard to try to get anything written during the week!). I got dressed and ready, filled the dishwasher, and read my twenty pages of Come and Hear by Adam Kirsch out on the porch while my husband and daughter worked on one of their projects outside. It started to rain, so I came in nand read two chapters of Le Petit Prince.


I tidied and swept the living room, went through a pile of magazines my mom had given me, then took out the recycling. And after lunch…*drumroll, please* I FINISHED LE PETIT PRINCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One more goal to check off my yearly goal list!


I made the sauce for dinner, relaxed on the computer for a bit and chatted with my sister-in-law. I cooked the macaroni and put the macaroni-and-tomato dish together, baked it, and cleaned up the kitchen. After dinner, I did my Duolingo, biked 30 minutes (big enough chance of rain that outside exercise didn’t look promising!), showered, and put my daughter to bed. I read my book, and my husband and I watched one episode of Unusual Suspects before bed.



Sunday, 21 August, 2022


I had breakfast and coffee, then worked on this post a little. I got dressed, folded and put away three loads of laundry, and started a load, then filled and ran the dishwasher. I read out on the porch, finishing my daily twenty pages of Come and Hear. I got up to plant some walking onions in the back garden, then had lunch outside, reading and finishing The Ravine


I threw a batch of black bean soup in the Instant Pot, emptied and refilled the dishwasher, took out the compost and recycling, and hung and dried the laundry. Then it was off to an absolutely awful trip to Walmart. Crowded, shelves looking as though they hadn’t stocked in WEEKS, it was terrible. But we got litter and contact lens solution and cat food, and a few extras. At home, I blended the soup and showered my daughter, then baked the garlic bread, and we had dinner. I did my Duolingo and showered, then read outside, starting The Sum of Us: How Racism Affects Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together by Heather McGhee. I put my daughter to bed, continued reading, and my husband and I watched one episode of Unusual Suspects before bed…where I had a terrible night of sleep.


And that’s it! I’m up early today to get stuff done before we start our schoolwork. Wish us luck for this year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment