Thursday, August 4, 2022

What's Been Going On: Monday, 1 August - Wednesday, 3 August, 2022

Good morning! It’s been such a calm, relaxing morning around here that I almost forgot about this post! Nothing much going on, but I got dinner into the Instant Pot, then sat down for a few moments before getting dressed and went, “Wait, it’s Thursday! Oh my goodness!” So here I am, doing up this post before we head off to the library (of course!).

It’s been a pretty quiet week here so far. We’re just soaking up the last lazy days of summer; school will start for us on the 22nd, so we’re literally counting down the days. We’ll make a trip to a library or two a few days before school starts to round up the books we’ll start with, and then the real fun will begin. : )

Here’s what I’ve been up to so far this week!

 

Monday, 1 August, 2022

After breakfast and coffee, I edited and posted Monday’s post, then finished writing and posted my monthly book blog update. I got dressed and ready, and my daughter and I hopped into the car for a quick Freecycle pickup across town, an unused Burt’s Bee’s product which I had just run out of. Talk about good luck!

At home, I emptied and refilled the dishwasher, took out the compost and recycling, and then it was upstairs to go through my daughter’s closet. We went through everything, and weeded out two garbage bags of too-small clothes, which I’ll put up on Freecycle soon. We finally went through the new-to-her clothes I had gotten from Freecycle earlier this year and figured out what fit now, and what stayed in the bag for later. PHEW! This took until lunchtime, a late lunch on this day!

After lunch, I chopped and steamed a cauliflower, then chopped some zucchini and carrots to steam after the cauliflower. I helped my daughter go through some of her books that I’d weeded out; she decided what to keep, and the rest (which was most of them) will go to a local organization that collects books for low-income schools and schools in other countries (and recycles the unusable books) whenever I get some boxes.

I did an hour of volunteer work, prepared dinner (a curry with jarred sauce and tofu), then FINISHED homeschool prep for the year and loaded it onto a Google doc, so I’ll be able to access it from my phone wherever I’m at (like the library). I ate dinner, took the garbage out, and my son and I did a 3.3 mile walk. We hauled the cans to the road when we got back.

I put dinner away, did my Duolingo, showered, and read my book. My husband and I watched one episode of Unusual Suspects before bed.

 

Tuesday, 2 August, 2022

I filled and ran the dishwasher, then had breakfast and coffee. I got dressed and ready, posted my review for What I Like About You by Marisa Kanter on my book blog, started a load of laundry, and then it was time to run my son over to his school, where he met with a counselor (he’s got to go back today, to another office which wasn’t open on Tuesday). It didn’t take very long; my daughter and I read our books in the car while we waited for him.

We ordered lunch from a local nacho place, picked it up, and ate at home. I emptied the dishwasher, took out the compost, and made a large batch of breadcrumbs from all the bread ends that had built up (and toasted my hand a little! Not too bad, fortunately, and it’s all better now). I did another hour of volunteer work, picked up a prescription from Walgreens, picked up a library book that had come in, and finished going through a cookbook from a different library.

After dinner, my son and I did a 3.3 mile walk. I did my Duolingo, put dinner away, showered, put my daughter to bed, and read my book. My husband and I watched one episode of Unusual Suspects before bed.

 

Wednesday, 3 August, 2022

After coffee, I edited and posted my review for Refugee High by Elly Fishman on my book blog. I made out my grocery list, got dressed and ready, filled and ran the dishwasher, took out the recycling and compost, then wiped down the countertops.  

I switched the laundry and read with my daughter, then spent some time on the computer and helped my daughter with some things in her room. After lunch, I took out the compost, emptied and refilled the dishwasher, then swept the kitchen and living room. I read two chapters of Jesus and John Wayne out on the porch, and then it was time to leave for groceries!

We hit up three stores and returned books to two different libraries. No really great sales, and egg prices are back up again, sigh. At home, I put the groceries away, loaded the dishwasher, and cooked our pizza for dinner. After we ate, I showered, did my Duolingo, and read on the porch. I read upstairs, then snuggled with my daughter, who was having a rough night and was really down on herself. My husband and I didn’t watch anything; it was too late, so we just went to bed.

 

And that’s it! I’m going to run my son over to his school, and my daughter and I will visit a local library this afternoon. She’s blown through all of Raina Telgemeier’s books and wants something similar, so fingers crossed we’ll find that!

Wishing you all a great week and weekend!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    ...it's been a while since I've been able to comment...the Kanter book sounds like fun...I'm now reading the God Emperor of Dune...not my favorite...it's ok though...and I'm interested to see where the series goes...I'm glad your August is starting out nice and calm...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger is so weird! Sometimes comments don't show up unless I approve them, but most of the time, that's not the case. Ahh, technology! I hope you made it through that book. There are often books out there I want to HAVE read, but that I don't really enjoy the process of reading, for whatever reason. It helps me to read just a little bit of those books each day (a set number of pages, or a certain number of minutes or chapters), and then read something more enjoyable the rest of the time. I've gotten through some tough ones that way! Have a great weekend!!! :)

      Delete